"That's the most I've ever paid..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a per day fee or one time charge? I don't think that is bad if they stay two nights etc.
One time. For most guests it's not an issue. They want to travel with their dog, they pay for it. I know I can board my dog for a lot less than that, but that's what happens when enough guests don't behave...I have to pay for the hot water & the time it takes to get all that laundry done! (2 quilts + 2 blankets, and extra vacuuming. One time the bedskirts had to come off and I lost a booking because I couldn't get it all put back together by 3 PM.)
Tomorrow I have a girl in that room who is allergic to dogs. So, today, I pulled the 'good' quilts out of the room and put the spares on the bed, just in case they let the dog on the beds without putting down the dog blanket I provide. That way I don't have to wash the good quilts again tomorrow and can just change out the blankets.
And, like El said, they can stay elsewhere. $25 charge for dogs next door, but the room is over $200. The other place that takes dogs I can't find a charge for pets (or kids for that matter).
sounds very reasonable to me.
we had a surprise dog the other day.
went to the door, couple carrying a little dog in a front carrier
them: we have a reservation
me: we have a problem. we don't take dogs.
them: this is a trained service dog, we have papers, you have to give us accommodation.
i said nothing and showed them their room. i have heard of bogus 'papers' and i was not about to challenge them ... it seemed to me they were ready for an argument.
i don't think it was a service animal because it was not always with the person whose service animal it is supposed to be and because it acted aggressively toward someone with a dog who came to the door. barked and growled and bared its teeth ready to fight, had to be restrained until the other person left. the other dog stood still, looking scared. as far as i know, trained service dogs do not go after other dogs. if it was a trained service dog, it needs more training!
anyway, they were not charged an additional fee. and i have read all the rules. they don't have to tell you they are bringing a service animal, can't deny accommodation, etc. but it would have been nice (and appropriate) to tell me ahead of time. i would have replaced some of the bed linens in the room especially the white puffs etc. before they checked in. i don't know where the dog slept, in the bed i suppose. or on the nicely folded comforter that was sitting next to the bed on the floor in the morning. so we stripped it completely to wash. seems to me it is fair to charge for that necessity.
Dh totally has his undies in a bunch about this. He's supposed to be sleeping but every now and then he rolls over and makes another comment. He just can't believe we really have to take service animals, or that we'd be in any risk of being sued if we refused.
In the long run I'm glad he's been educated about it, though.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Dh totally has his undies in a bunch about this. He's supposed to be sleeping but every now and then he rolls over and makes another comment. He just can't believe we really have to take service animals, or that we'd be in any risk of being sued if we refused.
=)
Kk.
Didn't you figure out that you're exempt because of the number of rooms?

Is it a per day fee or one time charge? I don't think that is bad if they stay two nights etc.
One time. For most guests it's not an issue. They want to travel with their dog, they pay for it. I know I can board my dog for a lot less than that, but that's what happens when enough guests don't behave...I have to pay for the hot water & the time it takes to get all that laundry done! (2 quilts + 2 blankets, and extra vacuuming. One time the bedskirts had to come off and I lost a booking because I couldn't get it all put back together by 3 PM.)
Tomorrow I have a girl in that room who is allergic to dogs. So, today, I pulled the 'good' quilts out of the room and put the spares on the bed, just in case they let the dog on the beds without putting down the dog blanket I provide. That way I don't have to wash the good quilts again tomorrow and can just change out the blankets.
And, like El said, they can stay elsewhere. $25 charge for dogs next door, but the room is over $200. The other place that takes dogs I can't find a charge for pets (or kids for that matter).
them: this is a trained service dog, we have papers, you have to give us accommodation.
i said nothing and showed them their room. i have heard of bogus 'papers' and i was not about to challenge them ... it seemed to me they were ready for an argument.
i don't think it was a service animal because it was not always with the person whose service animal it is supposed to be and because it acted aggressively toward someone with a dog who came to the door. barked and growled and bared its teeth ready to fight, had to be restrained until the other person left. the other dog stood still, looking scared. as far as i know, trained service dogs do not go after other dogs. if it was a trained service dog, it needs more training!
anyway, they were not charged an additional fee. and i have read all the rules. they don't have to tell you they are bringing a service animal, can't deny accommodation, etc. but it would have been nice (and appropriate) to tell me ahead of time. i would have replaced some of the bed linens in the room especially the white puffs etc. before they checked in. i don't know where the dog slept, in the bed i suppose. or on the nicely folded comforter that was sitting next to the bed on the floor in the morning. so we stripped it completely to wash. seems to me it is fair to charge for that necessity.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We are????
=)
Kk.

Well, they got their money's worth...windows open, A/C running.

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We are????
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
We are????
=)
Kk.
I don't know. When you had that tentative guest's tentative visitor...didn't you do research?

=)
Kk.
Another thought...I would ask for the papers and then had them wait while I contacted whatever authority purportedly issued them to verify their validity. If this was a bogus tactic to get their dog welcomed, then that would put some heat on them.
Fortunately, I fall into a little different category in the eyes of the law and am exempt from lot of hotel-like policies - this is one of them. The hotel tax and ADA compliance are a couple more.
For clarity sake for others reading this forum. It is not allowed within the Federal Law to ask for papers. (In this case it was ok because the guest brought it up first). But even if they couldn't produce the papers, you still can not refuse for that reason alone. Aggression is grounds for asking them to leave (after they have already been granted access of course). As was already mentioned, you ARE allowed to ask what service it provides (not what disability). But you are not allowed to pass judgement on the service or the active duty status of the dog.
Sure it is possible that the dog in the carrier was not a service dog, but it is also possible it is a seisure dog or autism companion dog or a host of other possibilities that would still allow it to perform its service while in a carrier. B&B Law for Service Animals

seashanty said:
If this should happen again, I would ask to see the "papers" and make a copy of them. It would be interesting to see what they say. It would also put them in a position to put up or shut up because they told YOU "we have the papers". It sounds to me, more than anything, like someone who read the article in the paper about Service Dogs and deliberately choosing an inn that did not take dogs (and said so on their web site) and hoping to be turned away. I bet you anything they had their lawyer's number on speed dial.
yes, we have had an emotional support dog arrive with a guest.
also, one 'seeing eye' dog and one seizure dog. the guests volunteered this info, i did not ask.
all those guests TOLD us in advance they had service animals. and there were no issues with those dogs at all. even the ENORMOUS emotional support dog.
this time, it caught me off guard and there was an air of defiance. just out of curiousity, i guess since they offered i could have made a copy of the 'papers' but you are right i could not demand them. remember, we are eight guest rooms and have to abide by the ADA laws.
the aggression issue was in the morning after they'd stayed the nite, so the visit was almost over. a properly trained service animal would not act that way ... but the dog made no sound that i heard before that.
question i should find out the answer to, if a service animal arrives with a guest, can a laundering fee be charged or is that illegal? manohman.
and college ... i think you may be exempt because of your size and that you live on site. please do check so you know for sure.

seashanty said:
If this should happen again, I would ask to see the "papers" and make a copy of them. It would be interesting to see what they say. It would also put them in a position to put up or shut up because they told YOU "we have the papers". It sounds to me, more than anything, like someone who read the article in the paper about Service Dogs and deliberately choosing an inn that did not take dogs (and said so on their web site) and hoping to be turned away. I bet you anything they had their lawyer's number on speed dial.
yes, we have had an emotional support dog arrive with a guest.
also, one 'seeing eye' dog and one seizure dog. the guests volunteered this info, i did not ask.
all those guests TOLD us in advance they had service animals. and there were no issues with those dogs at all. even the ENORMOUS emotional support dog.
this time, it caught me off guard and there was an air of defiance. just out of curiousity, i guess since they offered i could have made a copy of the 'papers' but you are right i could not demand them. remember, we are eight guest rooms and have to abide by the ADA laws.
the aggression issue was in the morning after they'd stayed the nite, so the visit was almost over. a properly trained service animal would not act that way ... but the dog made no sound that i heard before that.
question i should find out the answer to, if a service animal arrives with a guest, can a laundering fee be charged or is that illegal? manohman.
and college ... i think you may be exempt because of your size and that you live on site. please do check so you know for sure.
seashanty said:
Good question...I had to go look it up.
ada.gov said:
Q: Can I charge a maintenance or cleaning fee for customers who bring service animals into my business?
A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets. However, a public accommodation may charge its customers with disabilities if a service animal causes damage so long as it is the regular practice of the entity to charge non-disabled customers for the same types of damages. For example, a hotel can charge a guest with a disability for the cost of repairing or cleaning furniture damaged by a service animal if it is the hotel's policy to charge when non-disabled guests cause such damage.

Wow. So sorry you were caught off guard with this. So glad you posted this, though. It will help us tremendously. And, Swirt, thanks for posting the ADA Regulations.
What struck me was the question in the ADA Regs:
"I have alway had a clearly posted "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals?
The answer in said Regs was:
Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your no pets policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disablilty. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pet policy" altogether.....
I think the key word here is "MODIFY". Draw your own conclusions. The Regs say that "A service animal is not a pet"

Wow. So sorry you were caught off guard with this. So glad you posted this, though. It will help us tremendously. And, Swirt, thanks for posting the ADA Regulations.
"I have alway had a clearly posted "no pets" policy at my establishment. Do I still have to allow service animals?
Yes. A service animal is not a pet. The ADA requires you to modify your no pets policy to allow the use of a service animal by a person with a disablilty. This does not mean you must abandon your "no pet policy" altogether.....
I think the key word here is "MODIFY". Draw your own conclusions. The Regs say that "A service animal is not a pet".
Now I have a question. If one does not allow dogs, and someone checks in with a service animal, am I not allowed to charge for the service animal?
I don't allow animals, so I don't charge other animals.
Am I to understand since I don't have official fees for animals at my inn (because I don't allow them) then I would not be allowed to charge for a service animal?
Riki

I think the key word here is "MODIFY". Draw your own conclusions. The Regs say that "A service animal is not a pet".
Now I have a question. If one does not allow dogs, and someone checks in with a service animal, am I not allowed to charge for the service animal?
Am I to understand since I don't have official fees for animals at my inn (because I don't allow them) then I would not be allowed to charge for a service animal?
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
This answer was quoted below from the ADA policy link that Swirt posted...
A: No. Neither a deposit nor a surcharge may be imposed on an individual with a disability as a condition to allowing a service animal to accompany the individual with a disability, even if deposits are routinely required for pets.
The only fee you could impose, according to that link was if the animal did damage that you would normally charge a non-disabled guest for. So, if you would charge a non-disabled person a cleaning fee if they peed on the carpet, then yes, you could charge the animal's owner for the same issue.

Riki
Don't know. The ADA Regs doesn't address fees, as far as I can see.
I read the first sentence in the Regs, and we're off the hook right there. It states Under the ADA, privately owned BUSINESSES............ . According to our County, we are NOT a business. If you have 5 rooms or more, you're considered a business. We have 4.
But, these Regs are so wide open to interpretation. If you look at the BIG picture, how many times will we have guests show up with a dog? It's not something to worry about.
But just know the rules.
We've never had a handicapped couple. But does "handicapped" mean "disabled?"
IF, IF, a couple does want to bring service dog, MOST will let us know beforehand. I think Bree was an exception.

Riki
My understanding is that you are not allowed to charge for a service animal (whether you charge for pets or not). The only thing you can charge for is damages if you would normally charge such things. Probably the best way to think about it is that the service animal is an extention of the person. You can't deny access to the service animal because you can't deny access to the person. If you wouldn't charge the person for damages, then you can't charge for damages caused by the service animal
Example 1: If a guest spilled something vile on your chair and you would normally assess a cleaning charge, then you CAN also assess a cleaning charge if the service animal spills/yacks something vile on your chair.
Example 2: If you have a hair challenged guest that "sheds" in your bathroom, but you don't assess a cleaning fee for that, then you CAN NOT assess a cleaning fee if the service animal sheds in your bathroom.

Riki
I read the first sentence in the Regs, and we're off the hook right there. It states Under the ADA, privately owned BUSINESSES............ . According to our County, we are NOT a business. If you have 5 rooms or more, you're considered a business. We have 4.
But, these Regs are so wide open to interpretation. If you look at the BIG picture, how many times will we have guests show up with a dog? It's not something to worry about.
But just know the rules.
IF, IF, a couple does want to bring service dog, MOST will let us know beforehand. I think Bree was an exception.
trishany said:
I may be wrong, but I don't think you are off the hook. These are Federal Regs that supercede any County definitions. If you allow the public into your house in exchange for money, then you are a business. I would have a lawyer make that determination before denying anyone access on the grounds that you might not be a business. ;)

=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We are????
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
We are????
=)
Kk.
I don't know. When you had that tentative guest's tentative visitor...didn't you do research?
I thought the issue there was that the guest wanted her disabled friend to come over. Friend was not a registered guest, so friend had no right to be there and neither did her service dog.

I hate to think where they have been staying! If they don't like it,...they can always go somewhere else if they think they can find a better deal. I have never heard of a place where pets can stay for FREE. And that includes hotels..
I am with you on this.
I charge $35.00 per night per dog

Riki
But just know the rules.
I agree with Swirt... It says right in those Q&As regarding service animals that the Federal regs supercede any local & State regulations. If you had someone with a service animal show up at your door, you would not be able to deny them lodging. And you might be surprised that someone with a service animal would not even think about letting you know beforehand that they have one, as they are not required to notify you.
I do wonder if in this instance with Bree's guest if this was a bonafide service animal or if they were just trying to get away with something. A small, aggressive dog in a carrier as a service animal?? Hmmm......

Riki
But just know the rules.
I agree with Swirt... It says right in those Q&As regarding service animals that the Federal regs supercede any local & State regulations. If you had someone with a service animal show up at your door, you would not be able to deny them lodging. And you might be surprised that someone with a service animal would not even think about letting you know beforehand that they have one, as they are not required to notify you.
I do wonder if in this instance with Bree's guest if this was a bonafide service animal or if they were just trying to get away with something. A small, aggressive dog in a carrier as a service animal?? Hmmm......
Samster said:
OK, it wasn't MY guest. It was seashanty's guest. I had the lady who thought the charge for the dog was too high.
In trish's case, I think maybe just seeing her dogs might make someone with a service animal change their mind. Why risk it?

Riki
But just know the rules.
Samster said:
OK, it wasn't MY guest. It was seashanty's guest. I had the lady who thought the charge for the dog was too high.
In trish's case, I think maybe just seeing her dogs might make someone with a service animal change their mind. Why risk it?
oops, sorry...
You never know why someone books an accommodation :) Actually, a well trained service animal shouldn't even react to other dogs.

Riki
But just know the rules.
Samster said:
oops, sorry...
You never know why someone books an accommodation :) Actually, a well trained service animal shouldn't even react to other dogs.
Samster said:
oops, sorry...
I have no idea why these guests I just had booked 2 rooms. And we don't really know who slept in which rooms. There were supposed to be 4 of them and 1 canceled. They had to have the one room because of the dog, but they all could have stayed in the one room even with a 4th person.

Back