The Chargeback That's Not A Chargeback

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The struggle continues. We were denied the charges by their credit card. They said we had to show that the guest read and agreed to our policies. This was a phone reservation, so we don't have that proof.
We will be going to town tomorrow to start a small claims case.
I'm also having our website changed so that there will be a page where phone reservations have to click that they have read and agreed to our policies. It will then be logged into our tracking program (Intell-a-keeper). When a phone reservation comes in, they will have to do this while I'm on the phone with them. If they are not next to a computer, then they won't have a reservation until they get to their computer and do it.
It's such a shame that we business owners have to cover ourselves this way..
Wow, this STINKS! How about their review??? The woman stated she knew about the policy!
GOOD FOR YOU for filing the small claims case. What a nightmare though. These people are JERKS.
If they didn't sign their names to the review they can always claim they didn't write it.
Since I haven't read it, I will assume they didn't sign their names, but likely the city, the incident description and other details will be enough for any sane judge. Judges are supposedly highly educated and careful people.
They could claim that it seems to be an ongoing problem. 'Look, those people had a problem similar to ours! They must do this to everyone!'

The struggle continues. We were denied the charges by their credit card. They said we had to show that the guest read and agreed to our policies. This was a phone reservation, so we don't have that proof.
I'm also having our website changed so that there will be a page where phone reservations have to click that they have read and agreed to our policies. It will then be logged into our tracking program (Intell-a-keeper). When a phone reservation comes in, they will have to do this while I'm on the phone with them. If they are not next to a computer, then they won't have a reservation until they get to their computer and do it.
I'm so sorry about this. Of course, I wonder how they will fight in small claims court... and if they have to stay, where they will stay :)
Good luck and fight the good fight.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I'm so sorry about this. Of course, I wonder how they will fight in small claims court... and if they have to stay, where they will stay :)
Thanks Eric. If nothing else, I want to piss them off that they'll have to travel 2 hours to get here on a work day!
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Thanks Eric. If nothing else, I want to piss them off that they'll have to travel 2 hours to get here on a work day!
Are these the people who claimed the dogs were service dogs? Don't say anything to them, but they had better show up in court with the dogs and wtih service dog vests or their case will be in doubt. If they don't have them with them assisting in court, why did they need them to stay at your inn?
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Are these the people who claimed the dogs were service dogs? Don't say anything to them, but they had better show up in court with the dogs and wtih service dog vests or their case will be in doubt. If they don't have them with them assisting in court, why did they need them to stay at your inn?
RIki
Not service dogs. These are the ones that showed up at 11:00pm with 2 dogs in their car and they planned on keeping them there for 3 nights. These are the really horrible folks.

Wow, this STINKS! How about their review??? The woman stated she knew about the policy!
GOOD FOR YOU for filing the small claims case. What a nightmare though. These people are JERKS.
If they didn't sign their names to the review they can always claim they didn't write it.
Since I haven't read it, I will assume they didn't sign their names, but likely the city, the incident description and other details will be enough for any sane judge. Judges are supposedly highly educated and careful people.
I think BD said that the user name they chose for TA has part of their email address in it. I wouldn't give up on the cc either, a lot of times you lose round one but put together some more evidence to support your case and if it goes to the next review level you might just win.
To rebut the case, we would need to send in the proof that they clicked from the website or signed the reciept. We can't provide that information since it doesn't exist, so we're not continuing on with the cc company. I can't believe the court would ask for that information, but we'll see!

I think BD said that the user name they chose for TA has part of their email address in it. I wouldn't give up on the cc either, a lot of times you lose round one but put together some more evidence to support your case and if it goes to the next review level you might just win.
Don Draper said:
I think BD said that the user name they chose for TA has part of their email address in it.
You're right DD, their ta name uses most of their e-mail address. I've got everything printed up as proof.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
RIki
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
RIki
Not service dogs. These are the ones that showed up at 11:00pm with 2 dogs in their car and they planned on keeping them there for 3 nights. These are the really horrible folks.
Breakfast Diva said:
egoodell said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
RIki
What was the weather like at that time? Was it hot enough that the ASPCA would recommend NOT leaving pets in the car? And/or can you state you don't allow this kind of thing as you have neighbors that barking would offend? Does your neighborhood have any laws about dogs barking? They can't prove their dogs would not bark in a strange place. Plus, you can state you have a "no pets" policy and that includes pets in cars parked on your property.
Riki

Okie, Dokie! I just came back from filing the small claims case. Sent it off registered mail since they live 2 hours away, just across the state border into the next state north. They will get the notice tomorrow, then have 14 days to respond.
We'll see what happens! Stay tuned!

Okie, Dokie! I just came back from filing the small claims case. Sent it off registered mail since they live 2 hours away, just across the state border into the next state north. They will get the notice tomorrow, then have 14 days to respond.
We'll see what happens! Stay tuned!.
And we are standing there with you all the way.

To rebut the case, we would need to send in the proof that they clicked from the website or signed the reciept. We can't provide that information since it doesn't exist, so we're not continuing on with the cc company. I can't believe the court would ask for that information, but we'll see!
Breakfast Diva said:
I run the cc for the first night (at the time the reservation was made) and then have them sign that at checkin. would the reciept need to have the policies? Just trying to cover my ( l )
wow.gif

We'll see what happens! Stay tuned!.
Breakfast Diva said:
We'll see what happens! Stay tuned!
Fingers crossed that you get a judge with sensibilites and understands the business world, one that is a pet owner who would never leave their babies in a hot car for days....
RIki

Breakfast Diva said:
I run the cc for the first night (at the time the reservation was made) and then have them sign that at checkin. would the reciept need to have the policies? Just trying to cover my ( l )
wow.gif

MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
If you have them sign at check-in you could also have them sign a registration form that has the policies on it. If you have them sign at check-in and they never check-in, you have no signature. Which is why a lot of innkeepers are pushing online reservations where the guest has to check that they read the policies before the rez goes thru.
OR, for callers, require that they respond back to your confirmation (which should contain the policies) that they have read the email.

Breakfast Diva said:
wow.gif

MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
If you have them sign at check-in you could also have them sign a registration form that has the policies on it. If you have them sign at check-in and they never check-in, you have no signature. Which is why a lot of innkeepers are pushing online reservations where the guest has to check that they read the policies before the rez goes thru.
OR, for callers, require that they respond back to your confirmation (which should contain the policies) that they have read the email.
Alibi Ike said:
MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
We make everyone go online. We tell them that is how they get "in the system" and that is how their room is removed from availability. It is true, I don't remove it until they fill it out.
RIki

Breakfast Diva said:
It's such a shame that we business owners have to cover ourselves this way.
BD do you send an email confirmations to your guests? You could do what I do, I require guests reply so I know it was received. Our confirmation includes 'by replying you agree to the terms of this reservation'.
copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
It's such a shame that we business owners have to cover ourselves this way.
BD do you send an email confirmations to your guests? You could do what I do, I require guests reply so I know it was received. Our confirmation includes 'by replying you agree to the terms of this reservation'.
Yes, I do send the e-mail confirmation. It seems like a nightmare to have to keep track of whether they re-send it to you. How do you keep track and how much time do you have to spend?
I use an email addy just for reservations and replies. The subject of the confirmation is "last name, Date(s) of stay, my B&B. I only reqire a reply for phone rez and tell them to finalize their reservation they must reply to the confirmation within 24hrs or the reservation is removed. This gets their urgent attention.
Keep the replies in online folders for the rez month, once the year has passed I archive under a yearly folder and keep for 1 year.
I think our reservation confirmation webpage will do the trick. You have to enter your name and the "innkeeper password" which I will tell them on the phone. I'm already having to follow-up on some of our romantic add-on choices and can't imagine having more follow-up.
I'll let you know when the new page is finished.
Our page has been updated now. If you want to see what I'm talking about, go to our home page, then scroll down and on the left there is a picture of keys and it says "reservation confirmation". Click on that, then it takes you to another page where they have to enter in their name, the code I give them, then submit it. I have been doing this for the last couple of days and it's working well. I do it with them while they are on the phone with me making the reservation.
The system it's actually getting submitted to is Acorn's Inntell-A-Keeper which tracks where they found us. I then get an e-mail after they have submitted the info saying that they clicked and entered info from the website button. I can also get their submission info from the Inntell-a-keeper history from their online program.
Since I was using this program anyway, I just had Acorn add the additional text about agreeing to the policies.
I think my a** is finally covered! That is until the next time PITAs figure out a way to mess us up.

Breakfast Diva said:
wow.gif

MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
Alibi Ike said:
MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
We make everyone go online. We tell them that is how they get "in the system" and that is how their room is removed from availability. It is true, I don't remove it until they fill it out.
RIki
Us too. ALL reservations are made online, either by them or by me. Do it yourself, save $10/night.

Breakfast Diva said:
wow.gif

MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
Alibi Ike said:
MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
RIki
Us too. ALL reservations are made online, either by them or by me. Do it yourself, save $10/night.
Don Draper said:
How do you deal with those people who won't put in their credit card number?

Breakfast Diva said:
wow.gif

MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
Alibi Ike said:
MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
RIki
Don Draper said:
Do you mean they call you because they won't enter their cc info online?
DD showed how...you fill in the form for them while they are on the phone and read the policies to them, ask if they agree to them and tick the box. Then you send them a copy of what they agreed to and have them reply back they read it.
Right now we are getting fewer and fewer calls so it's easier for me to keep track of who has not replied who booked on the phone.

Breakfast Diva said:
wow.gif

MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
Alibi Ike said:
MTLLodge said:
wow.gif
RIki
Don Draper said:
Honestly we just don't take phone bookings any more. The only people who ever leave a message are those that are looking for a discount, looking to put 5 people in one room, or people who don't have internet access. For the last category, we've just decided this is not our target demo and they can book elsewhere (because we've found in our area at least, that the people who won't book online, are not our ideal guests...they need to be spoon fed and we are just not equipped for that).

Back