The Curse of the Quiche

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?.
Little Blue said:
Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?
Yeah and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! And today we made it because the guests who were here 4 nights had already had the other 2 egg dishes we make. And they're part of the crowd who left.
The funny thing is, those who eat it, love it. They polish it off.
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?
Yeah and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! And today we made it because the guests who were here 4 nights had already had the other 2 egg dishes we make. And they're part of the crowd who left.
Don't call it quiche. Make up some fancy name for it. They won't know what it is until they sit down
devil_smile.gif
I call mine a breakfast pie because it's more of an egg bake without a crust and much lighter than a quiche.
OK, egg bake would work or even fritatta. But quiche sends 'em running. Last time we had almost 2 full quiches leftover. This time it was one full quiche. And I won't eat it. Gomez had a slice for lunch and might have another tomorrow but after that it's in the trash.
Morticia said:
OK, egg bake would work or even fritatta. But quiche sends 'em running.
Both egg bake and fritatta would definitely work for the Frenchman.
Just don't call it quiche. To him the idea of eating quiche in the morning would be akin to asking him to have a Philly cheese steak sandwich with his coffee. Fritatta? That'll work.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
Just don't call it quiche. To him the idea of eating quiche in the morning would be akin to asking him to have a Philly cheese steak sandwich with his coffee. Fritatta? That'll work.
BTW- no one who absconded today without eating was French...I'm going to have to track this now that I'm thinking of it. Wedding people always skip the quiche. But these weren't wedding people. They all just wanted to get on the road early. Like 7 AM.

I do not state what I am serving each morning, sometimes I don't know myself until I hit the kitchen and start pulling out the stuff.
I find more women push around a sweet breakfast than a savory one. But yes, they do cut it up and push it around a bit and say they had a big dinner. Sounds like all women went to the same finishing school, except me. HaHa

Oh my goodness...........a glimpse at the madness of women :)
I tell ya.......this forums is awesome
By the time I am ready......I will be enlightened

Those of you that have trouble with guests not showing up for breakfast...do you have your menu posted somewhere where guests know in advance what's being served?.
Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
Don't call it quiche. Make up some fancy name for it. They won't know what it is until they sit down
devil_smile.gif
I call mine a breakfast pie because it's more of an egg bake without a crust and much lighter than a quiche.
OK, egg bake would work or even fritatta. But quiche sends 'em running. Last time we had almost 2 full quiches leftover. This time it was one full quiche. And I won't eat it. Gomez had a slice for lunch and might have another tomorrow but after that it's in the trash.
Morticia said:
That reminds me of my favourite back-handed compliment, from a guest on holiday from France commenting to another guest about the breakfast he just had... (picture an elegant frenchman with a heavy accent) "For a french breakfast, it was, hmm, okay. For a Canadian breakfast, it was excellent!"

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
devil_smile.gif
Morticia said:
That reminds me of my favourite back-handed compliment, from a guest on holiday from France commenting to another guest about the breakfast he just had... (picture an elegant frenchman with a heavy accent) "For a french breakfast, it was, hmm, okay. For a Canadian breakfast, it was excellent!"
Happy, that was great, just like the French. Still LMAO

By the time I am ready......I will be enlightened.
One Day said:
By the time I am ready......I will be enlightened
Find yourself a woman who likes to eat but knows when to say when. Everyone is happy that way. Gomez used to invite me over for dinner when we were dating and he'd cook up a big ol' T-bone and fries and we'd polish off a 6-pack. Life is good.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
devil_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Innkeeper To Go said:
Morticia said:
BTW- no one who absconded today without eating was French...I'm going to have to track this now that I'm thinking of it. Wedding people always skip the quiche. But these weren't wedding people. They all just wanted to get on the road early. Like 7 AM.
I think that it sounds like the guests leaving to get on the road was more of the issue, not that you were serving quiche?
I noticed that a lot of women guests here might not finish off a sweet breakfast but generally speaking our guests pretty much ate our breakfasts. Some might skip our baked goods but they didn't turn down a "to-go" bag. lol!
Quiche actually sounds good for a Summer dinner to me.
I personally never turn down when someone else is cooking for me.....
wink_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Little Blue said:
devil_smile.gif
Morticia said:
Oh yes, that was definitely a Frenchman speaking. I know the MO very well.

Little Blue said:
Morticia said:
Yeah, and that's why I say 'curse of the quiche'! They know it is quiche and they leave! The funny thing is, those who eat it, love it. They polish it off.
We don't announce breakfast menus, they won't know what they're getting until it's put in front of them, and only rarely does someone not eat most or all of it. Even more rare that anyone asks what's for breakfast. People are so odd.
Announcing the breakfast has saved me some early morning hassle. Not always, but some will say, 'I'm allergic to that.' Someone else made the reservation and never asked or explained to everyone about the food. And they think it's a menu. They always think it's a menu. Like all B&B's have a menu. I know some do, but we're not that one so I like to head off the menu crowd by telling them what is for breakfast.
We get a lot of groups here so it's hard for one person to know everyone's likes & dislikes or food issues. Then again, announcing the breakfast in advance also allows for anticipation, which goes a long way to getting them downstairs some mornings!
We notice the quiche issue because it's already cooked and it gets thrown out. Other times we wouldn't notice because everything else is cooked when they sit down. (Except bacon and I don't care if everyone skips brekkie on bacon day! I'll eat all of it!)
Now I've been thinking a lot on this problem, and I believe I've come up with the ultimate solution. Every spring, buy yourself two or three piglets. During your busy season in the summer, you feed them the kitchen scraps, leftovers, and breakfasts that would otherwise get thrown away. After your busy season is over -- and their food supply consequently dwindles -- you have them "converted" INTO breakfast (ham, bacon and sausage [you might even name them that!]). In this manner, the quiche is not wasted.
And, of course, all summer they are producing lots of fertilizer so your lawn and flowers will be nicer than anyones. Curb appeal marketing at it's finest.
How green is that!?!

I love quiche and I would've eaten every bite. I have very few guests that don't eat everything. Usually it's on the third or fourth day that they will opt for just the fruit and bread or granola. But I think that's because they've been out to lunch and dinner for days and it's just too much food overall.

I have learned from experience that if you ask guests in advance about dietary issues, you will regret it.
Breakfast is complimentary. Your choice is take it or leave it. Just mho.

We have a set menu that we give our guests upon check in and we ask them what time they would like breakfast the hours they can choose are not before 7AM and after9AM, the menu lets them know what we are serving and if they really dispise what is there we can change it ahead of time.
There must be something in the air because three guests have not showed up for breakfast when they said they wanted it at 8AM and now its approching 9-this peeves me off more than a guest not eating their meal. Yea I also found that women are most likely to move their food around their plate, have a couple bites and pretend they are "full" or they just "don't eat breakfast"...whatever.
We don't sere quiche, didn't do it in our other Inn either. Maybe for brunch but not for a breakfast. I search the net for breakfast dishes and I have found some great recipes such as Egg Custard-its was a great hit, easy to prepare and inexpensive. Mr. Breakfast is a great site for breakfast dishes.
Like the piglett idea, whats not to like? But truth is not very pleasant unless you have a farm or lots of space...wouldnt be a bad idea
wink_smile.gif

You mean you TELL THEM you are serving quiche? What is the saying, Faux Pas or down unda would call it a blunda. Never tell them you are serving quiche, I would be one who ran away too. I am not a quiche eater...hm, that sounded like an insult in some odd remarkable way. I didn't mean it to be.
"An egg dish" would be my only reply if they asked. Do you know most people have never even eaten quiche? I mean when would you? If you went to a brunch would you order quiche? Probably not. Most men would not order quiche due to the distorted quiche reputation, or admit to liking it. :)
But alas, I digress...SHOW ME THE MEAT. Don't serve me meatless casseroles or meatless quiche. Sorry, but I am a carnivore through and through. (as I ramp up for a 4th of July big sloppy greasy burger tomorrow) Or show me the "smoked salmon" should that be a local/regional flavor.

Sexism? It's called most men never have a woman cook for them either. Have you ever encountered the angry wife as the husband is enjoying his breakfast a little bit too much? Oh yeahhhhhhh happens often. She will look at his face and say "Don't expect this at home" tee hee giggle giggle. Then, don't be surprised if they no-show the next morning. She will find some way to "distract" him from breakfast. Pretty evil really.
Back to breakfast, I will say I had the worst of the worst dining out for breakfast. I am not sure what the heck they do to it, other than maybe cook bacon three days ahead or something? Nasty stuff. And listen, I am not looking for anything fancy, just a basic American slammed together breakfast, and it was mostly not edible.
Innkeepers, you serve terrific meals! You shine! You Rock! You are the best! Don't ever think it has anything to do with your food, I know you...you would not serve it without guests loving it. You go way way way beyond the call, you offer so much, and it is nothing that any chain serves up.
chef.gif

You mean you TELL THEM you are serving quiche? What is the saying, Faux Pas or down unda would call it a blunda. Never tell them you are serving quiche, I would be one who ran away too. I am not a quiche eater...hm, that sounded like an insult in some odd remarkable way. I didn't mean it to be.
"An egg dish" would be my only reply if they asked. Do you know most people have never even eaten quiche? I mean when would you? If you went to a brunch would you order quiche? Probably not. Most men would not order quiche due to the distorted quiche reputation, or admit to liking it. :)
But alas, I digress...SHOW ME THE MEAT. Don't serve me meatless casseroles or meatless quiche. Sorry, but I am a carnivore through and through. (as I ramp up for a 4th of July big sloppy greasy burger tomorrow) Or show me the "smoked salmon" should that be a local/regional flavor..
If I put smoked salmon in anything they'd leave it on the plate in droves! You've all convinced me to never use the word 'quiche' again. It's egg pie or some such.
We never put meat in any dish, it's always on the side. Too many non-meat eaters stay here. It's my market, you know. Vegetarians.

I think too at this time of year when we have so many nice long days that people end up staying out later and maybe eating dinner later than they normally would. Then they end up either sleeping in and missing breakfast, or getting up and leaving early to get on to the next stop.
I personally would eat and love every bit of any quiche prepared for me! But maybe there just is something in the name.

We have a set menu that we give our guests upon check in and we ask them what time they would like breakfast the hours they can choose are not before 7AM and after9AM, the menu lets them know what we are serving and if they really dispise what is there we can change it ahead of time.
There must be something in the air because three guests have not showed up for breakfast when they said they wanted it at 8AM and now its approching 9-this peeves me off more than a guest not eating their meal. Yea I also found that women are most likely to move their food around their plate, have a couple bites and pretend they are "full" or they just "don't eat breakfast"...whatever.
We don't sere quiche, didn't do it in our other Inn either. Maybe for brunch but not for a breakfast. I search the net for breakfast dishes and I have found some great recipes such as Egg Custard-its was a great hit, easy to prepare and inexpensive. Mr. Breakfast is a great site for breakfast dishes.
Like the piglett idea, whats not to like? But truth is not very pleasant unless you have a farm or lots of space...wouldnt be a bad idea
wink_smile.gif
birdwatcher said:
I search the net for breakfast dishes and I have found some great recipes such as Egg Custard-its was a great hit, easy to prepare and inexpensive. Mr. Breakfast is a great site for breakfast dishes.
Is there a recipe for this? I can't picture what it would be like but sounds intersting.

Back