The Luggage.... Organic Please...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argh...so sorry about your mom. My mom took a header down our stairs in July about 14 years ago when she was 80. Timing could not have been worse for us with back to back full house for a couple of months. But it is amazing that she survived the broken hip, surgery, rehab and trip back to FL to her home. She lived to a ripe old age of 93.
I hope your mom is made of the same tough stuff and that she is back to herself soon..
My mom fell off a ladder doing the Christmas decorations and hit her head on the corner of the bookcase. How did I find out? She asked me how to get blood out of the carpet. Didn't even slow her down.

I see you are having another fun day Not!
Sending healing though s for your MUM. that is a nasty fall. Hope like heck she did not break her hip..
Not the hip. They are worried about her collar bone and spine.
Very best wishes for your mom.
heart.gif

I'm so ragged now. Last guest checked in around 4PM (there was a selfie later) and I went for a quick nap... woke at 7PM. Dinner, hospital, ice cream, bed again. Paid the neighbour kid to change an A/C that a guest complained about. Breakfast for 12 turned into 9, so I have extras in the fridge. And had to run to the CostWarehouse to get flowers for a package. Monday... kids are starting school here, things might quiet down.
Crazy weekend, people calling and begging for rooms again. Maybe 20 calls yesterday. I set the phone to answering machine... not taking calls tonight.

I'm so ragged now. Last guest checked in around 4PM (there was a selfie later) and I went for a quick nap... woke at 7PM. Dinner, hospital, ice cream, bed again. Paid the neighbour kid to change an A/C that a guest complained about. Breakfast for 12 turned into 9, so I have extras in the fridge. And had to run to the CostWarehouse to get flowers for a package. Monday... kids are starting school here, things might quiet down.
Crazy weekend, people calling and begging for rooms again. Maybe 20 calls yesterday. I set the phone to answering machine... not taking calls tonight..
Hope you sleep well.

Sending healing though s for your MUM. that is a nasty fall. Hope like heck she did not break her hip..
Generic said:
So sorry to hear about your Mom. Prayers, positive thoughts and well wishes!

My sister broke her collar bone back in the nineties. They gave her a sling for her arm to stabilized the shoulder, thats all besides pain killer. But the spine…. Hoping its not the spine! I have you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Me too. I think they are worried about the L3 which is why they want a brace, but they aren't saying much. I think it's temporary. I hope it's all temporary. They did talk about sending her for some rehab after the hospital.
Honestly, I'm worried that she may have to move in her and lose some of her independence, she's a little stubborn and well... I'm a lot stubborn about how my house runs. So she will have to adjust... like we don't eat in the bedroom (which is fine, if you live alone, but with others, you eat dinner together at a table.)
I am on the other end of this discussion. I am doing everything humanly possible so my children will never be faced with "where does Ma go? Who drew the short straw?" I cannot remember the last visit to the doctor - any doctor. They are also praying I outlive Himself for the same reason as given above but HE goes to doctors regularly.
Generic - your Mom sounds like a strong person and you are the product of her parenting. Good luck - it will be an interesting phase in both of your lives. May she be able to return to her own abode where both of you will be happier. (I had realized many years ago that my Mom and I were so much alike that we would not be able to be in the same house for 10 minutes if we knew it was permanent.)
I hope we have solved that question by bringing our daughter to join us now, hopefully sharing the load extends the time we are able to function and when time comes puts us in a place where it is easy to check on the old folks.

My sister broke her collar bone back in the nineties. They gave her a sling for her arm to stabilized the shoulder, thats all besides pain killer. But the spine…. Hoping its not the spine! I have you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Me too. I think they are worried about the L3 which is why they want a brace, but they aren't saying much. I think it's temporary. I hope it's all temporary. They did talk about sending her for some rehab after the hospital.
Honestly, I'm worried that she may have to move in her and lose some of her independence, she's a little stubborn and well... I'm a lot stubborn about how my house runs. So she will have to adjust... like we don't eat in the bedroom (which is fine, if you live alone, but with others, you eat dinner together at a table.)
I am on the other end of this discussion. I am doing everything humanly possible so my children will never be faced with "where does Ma go? Who drew the short straw?" I cannot remember the last visit to the doctor - any doctor. They are also praying I outlive Himself for the same reason as given above but HE goes to doctors regularly.
Generic - your Mom sounds like a strong person and you are the product of her parenting. Good luck - it will be an interesting phase in both of your lives. May she be able to return to her own abode where both of you will be happier. (I had realized many years ago that my Mom and I were so much alike that we would not be able to be in the same house for 10 minutes if we knew it was permanent.)
I hope we have solved that question by bringing our daughter to join us now, hopefully sharing the load extends the time we are able to function and when time comes puts us in a place where it is easy to check on the old folks.
You have done it in a good way. Our problem is that we are NOT easy to live with - shocker, I know. And we would be living in someone else's house that was not meant for that and that is one reason I told mine to dump me in a nursing home rather than think I would live with them. They would be trying to figure out how to get rid of me without going to jail within a week - and I would be helping them.

Argh...so sorry about your mom. My mom took a header down our stairs in July about 14 years ago when she was 80. Timing could not have been worse for us with back to back full house for a couple of months. But it is amazing that she survived the broken hip, surgery, rehab and trip back to FL to her home. She lived to a ripe old age of 93.
I hope your mom is made of the same tough stuff and that she is back to herself soon..
My mom fell off a ladder doing the Christmas decorations and hit her head on the corner of the bookcase. How did I find out? She asked me how to get blood out of the carpet. Didn't even slow her down.
my trouble is my mum is on warfrin (blood thinner) so tiny cut means trip to A&E - daft woman decided to prune my grape vines and took a chunk out of her hand with the pruning sheers due to nosieing over the ruddy fence at the neighbours! meant stitches.
However we are lucky in that there is a nice block of flats attached to us with one up for sale (there is about 9 units) periodically so if dad goes first we will move her into one where she will have her own independence but within meddling distance! If mum goes first dad will not leave that house unless out in a box as he will never face clearing out and packing in a million years but can easily live on the ground floor as a HUGE half bath we could easily put a walk in shower into and he could just use the ground floor or big staircase which could take a stair lift either way. I come from a family of very perverse people none of us could live together!

You have done it in a good way. Our problem is that we are NOT easy to live with - shocker, I know. And we would be living in someone else's house that was not meant for that and that is one reason I told mine to dump me in a nursing home rather than think I would live with them. They would be trying to figure out how to get rid of me without going to jail within a week - and I would be helping them.
Oh I never said I was easy to live with either, lucky for me Maxine is of a quiet stubborn nature or I would have been tossed long ago. Afraid daughter at times has my grumpy impatient nature, but there is the advantage of being next door and not always underfoot and an initial understanding that she should fight back if I was too grumpy.

Crazy weekend, people calling and begging for rooms again. Maybe 20 calls yesterday. I set the phone to answering machine... not taking calls tonight..
Things are dead here, since school started. I hope the same for you (If that's what you want).

So very sorry to hear of your Mom!

Things are dead here, since school started. I hope the same for you (If that's what you want).

We get a lull after labour day. It's a time when older people travel and I have stairs. So, it's a little quieter. Thank as soon as Thanksgiving starts, it's busy because of the fall. Then a lull until the next country's thanksgiving.
Mom is going to be okay. Hospital, rehab, back home, from what I hear. But we have to see.

We get a lull after labour day. It's a time when older people travel and I have stairs. So, it's a little quieter. Thank as soon as Thanksgiving starts, it's busy because of the fall. Then a lull until the next country's thanksgiving.
Mom is going to be okay. Hospital, rehab, back home, from what I hear. But we have to see.
Generic said:
Good for mom! Hope she excels at rehab and gets back home soon.

Generic said:
Yes!!!!! Glad to hear it! Watch out she might became addicted to Rehab and be in better shape than you in the end! (My mom did that… Walks over three mile daily and my sister gave her a fitbit which didn't help. She always winning awards for her performances…)

So happy to hear that Mom is going to be OK after rehab.

I'm hoping, but yesterday she had a small seizure and they moved her to ICU for the night. Have her on anti seizure medication and are hoping to move her back down today. She's in a lot of pain and black and blue from the fall.

I'm hoping, but yesterday she had a small seizure and they moved her to ICU for the night. Have her on anti seizure medication and are hoping to move her back down today. She's in a lot of pain and black and blue from the fall.
Oh, the poor Lady. I hope it is just a small setback. I will get the SOSK on it after breakfast is done.

Oh no!!!!!!!! I hope it only the one caused by the fall and nothing more will come.

Oh no!!!!!!!! I hope it only the one caused by the fall and nothing more will come.
It's all caused by the fall. Mom bruises easily. I was suprised that she wasn't automatically on anti-seizure meds when there was brain swelling to worry about. It's a wait and see sort of thing. But ICU was basically saying that she was sent up for monitoring and she would be going back to the regular beds this morning.

It's all caused by the fall. Mom bruises easily. I was suprised that she wasn't automatically on anti-seizure meds when there was brain swelling to worry about. It's a wait and see sort of thing. But ICU was basically saying that she was sent up for monitoring and she would be going back to the regular beds this morning.
Take care of yourself during this time with running back and forth from the hospital and trying to take care of the inn and all. You don't want to wear yourself too thin. Its not the easiest time of life.

Back