THE PSYCHOS are HERE!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is exactly what I was telling a customer yesterday - the vast percentage of customers with a problem, the problem is caused by the customer not reading or booking what they want (ie own responsibility) and then being unhappy ie not in the mountains.
this is exactly what I was telling a customer yesterday - the vast percentage of customers with a problem, the problem is caused by the customer not reading or booking what they want (ie own responsibility) and then being unhappy ie not in the mountains
But that is just it, JB is not on a mountain top but she IS in the mountains. Her mountains are like mine, older than the Rockies so like any mother, worn down a bit.
Flatlanders say they feel claustrophobic here (as they would at JB's) but I tell them our hills are like a mother with security - I will always be here for you kind of thing. (to explain my mother reference.) The hills protect us from the really nasty winds and tornadoes - usually. The last tornado that hit Shinnston was in June, 1944.
gillumhouse said:
this is exactly what I was telling a customer yesterday - the vast percentage of customers with a problem, the problem is caused by the customer not reading or booking what they want (ie own responsibility) and then being unhappy ie not in the mountains
But that is just it, JB is not on a mountain top but she IS in the mountains. Her mountains are like mine, older than the Rockies so like any mother, worn down a bit.
Flatlanders say they feel claustrophobic here (as they would at JB's) but I tell them our hills are like a mother with security - I will always be here for you kind of thing. (to explain my mother reference.) The hills protect us from the really nasty winds and tornadoes - usually. The last tornado that hit Shinnston was in June, 1944.
This is our high school, btw. It is just a couple blocks from us, our daughter walks home from THIS school every day. We are over to the right. I took this photo from a HILL in OUR TOWN. BTW.
The background are foothills, the mountains with parkway are behind me in this photos. So even our foothills do have some elevation. But that is not the point, you can't negotiate with crazy.
shades_smile.gif

lrg_Franklin%20County%20High%20School_Claiborne%20House%20Bed%20and%20Breakfast%20Rocky%20Mount%20Virginia.jpg

and here is our place (taken from the same vantage point obv)
lrg_Rocky%20Mount%20_Claiborne%20House%20Bed%20and%20Breakfast.jpg

this is exactly what I was telling a customer yesterday - the vast percentage of customers with a problem, the problem is caused by the customer not reading or booking what they want (ie own responsibility) and then being unhappy ie not in the mountains.
gillumhouse said:
Yes.
She was a nut job, no two ways about it. And guess who got to wake up to THAT this morning...not me, not us. When they arrived my daughter who was looking just beautiful, greeted them with a smile and opened the door and said welcome, they stormed past her and started going at her, and I went out there. Not on, not on at all.
"Chew tell me where the hiking is, eh eh!!!"
and before I could close my mouth to form a word she would scream "See I tol' you! They are liars, they lie!"
I told DH last night, and as all of you know, we certainly have plenty of places to hike. The guest room book mentions that in the first five entries...
Now if these people had walked in and said quietly, uh, this was not what we were expecting...instead of barging past and saying loudly "This is terrible! This is terrible! This is garbage" yes, she really said that...and that was when I was still being calm. I was asking "What do you mean? What is terrible?" THIS PLACE! THIS TOWN! WE DROVE FIVE HOURS TO GET "here!"?"
Yeah, it is hard to explain in print. Very hard. We are still reeling from it.
But today is a new day, a fresh start and we will be out hiking soon...which we wouldn't have been if we had muy loca for breakfast. Junie B has a new friend, a 6 month old Shepherd she will meet shortly. She is also going in the big rig to the state park for a hike! Photos later...
I have WVU faculty - micro-biology (her - orig from MN) and chemical engineering (him - orig from Brazil). Thankfully very pleasant.

I so wish we knew where they went for the night.
Poor guy. Even if he likes her, he probably doesn't find her likable.
Through this I'm picturing Fanne Foxe, the then-young Argentine stripper who had an affair with the powerful Chairman of the U. S. House Ways and Means Committee, Arkansas Congressman Wilber D. Mills, in the 70's. The affair became public when the Washington police pulled them over after a night of drinking, and Fanne went running through the Tidal Basin trying to escape.
Mills called her his "Little Argentine Hillbilly," but in her striptease act she was known as "The Argentine Firecracker," which made me think of her as JB described the firecracker that blew up in her house yesterday.
I hope they spent New Year's Eve eating a cold Big Mac in a Motel 6, with no tiara.

Anyone who wishes to have names, I have them..
Sorry you had such a bi%^&* give you grief. It's hard when they are so unreasonable. That's why I hate New Years as everyone has such unreasonable expectations!
We had a power outage at noon that lasted until 6pm. Only lost one room as I called them all and just one didn't want to chance it. I had found a hotel and a B&B that still had rooms so gave them the number to call.
We will probably have to go for the big bucks this year and get a whole house generator. We had three outages this past year and it's costing too much money!
Fortunately we had great guests - just one husband that has to be 15 - 20 minutes late for breakfast every morning. Don't know why
Riki

Sorry you had such a bi%^&* give you grief. It's hard when they are so unreasonable. That's why I hate New Years as everyone has such unreasonable expectations!
We had a power outage at noon that lasted until 6pm. Only lost one room as I called them all and just one didn't want to chance it. I had found a hotel and a B&B that still had rooms so gave them the number to call.
We will probably have to go for the big bucks this year and get a whole house generator. We had three outages this past year and it's costing too much money!
Fortunately we had great guests - just one husband that has to be 15 - 20 minutes late for breakfast every morning. Don't know why
Riki
The generator will give you peace of mind ... Priceless

Riki
egoodell said:
We've had a whole house natural gas powered generator for years. One thing you might consider is NOT trying to run a central AC system with it. It takes a LOT of power, and the utility co. power rarely goes off for long in the summer, so not including the AC means you can save money by getting a smaller generator.

My brother-in-law's house burned to the ground due to a mouse nest built in the exhaust pipe of his whole-house generator.... It was a nasty winter storm dropping a bunch of wet snow that took out the power lines, thus the starting of the generator, but it also meant the roads were impassable by the fire trucks! Make sure you mount the generator a sufficient distance away from other buildings that if it catches fire, it can't spread to your house or other buildings.

Riki
egoodell said:
We've had a whole house natural gas powered generator for years. One thing you might consider is NOT trying to run a central AC system with it. It takes a LOT of power, and the utility co. power rarely goes off for long in the summer, so not including the AC means you can save money by getting a smaller generator.
Arks said:
egoodell said:
Thanks for the info, but here we get loss of power in the heat of the summer as often as in the winter. We had a loss of power in July - 100 percent humidity and 90 degrees. For three days. We lost a full house for three days = over $2275. Lost power three times this year. We were sleeping on the floor of the basement with the dogs trying to keep cool.
The expense will be we want it a distance from the inn which will be expensive.
Riki

My brother-in-law's house burned to the ground due to a mouse nest built in the exhaust pipe of his whole-house generator.... It was a nasty winter storm dropping a bunch of wet snow that took out the power lines, thus the starting of the generator, but it also meant the roads were impassable by the fire trucks! Make sure you mount the generator a sufficient distance away from other buildings that if it catches fire, it can't spread to your house or other buildings..
Harborfields said:
My brother-in-law's house burned to the ground due to a mouse nest built in the exhaust pipe of his whole-house generator.... It was a nasty winter storm dropping a bunch of wet snow that took out the power lines, thus the starting of the generator, but it also meant the roads were impassable by the fire trucks! Make sure you mount the generator a sufficient distance away from other buildings that if it catches fire, it can't spread to your house or other buildings.
Wow that is great advice. We are already going to put it a ways from the house due to noise. I think the new ones turn on and off automatically to check the system? But I'll ask Chris.
Riki

Oh JB, I'm so sorry you had to endure that! I've had the same type of psycho here also. She threatened to call the Attny General because we were 'frauds'. It always shocks me that there are such ugly people that can spew their hate at others.
I'm glad you're able to get out and hike today. Today is a better day!

My brother-in-law's house burned to the ground due to a mouse nest built in the exhaust pipe of his whole-house generator.... It was a nasty winter storm dropping a bunch of wet snow that took out the power lines, thus the starting of the generator, but it also meant the roads were impassable by the fire trucks! Make sure you mount the generator a sufficient distance away from other buildings that if it catches fire, it can't spread to your house or other buildings..
Harborfields said:
Wow that is great advice. We are already going to put it a ways from the house due to noise. I think the new ones turn on and off automatically to check the system? But I'll ask Chris.
Riki
egoodell said:
We are already going to put it a ways from the house due to noise. I think the new ones turn on and off automatically to check the system? But I'll ask Chris.
We have one by Generac and yes, they come on once a week and run about 10 minutes to exercise themselves. My sister also has one for her house and it's a newer model and MUCH quieter than ours, which is about 7 years old.
They don't have a "chimney" on them. Just a grill they exhaust through, and since they run a while each week there's no worry of rodents building nests in them. Plus they sit a safe distance from the house. They look about like an outside air conditioning unit.
Once a year it needs an oil change and air filter change (20 minute job) and that's it. Otherwise we never think about it. It comes on when needed, goes off shortly after utility power returns.
egoodell said:
Not real expensive. A conduit of wires comes with it. These wires run from the generator to your house's breaker box. The conduit is about 30' long. If you want to put it farther from the breaker box than that, you can run their conduit to a junction box, then run additional wiring, as much as needed, from the junction box to the breaker box. So the only expense is the junction box and extra wire and conduit, and a few minutes to make connections between the two conduits. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars, but not a huge expense.
50d24aeeaa8ed_standby_generator.jpeg

Harborfields said:
Riki
egoodell said:
We are already going to put it a ways from the house due to noise. I think the new ones turn on and off automatically to check the system? But I'll ask Chris.
We have one by Generac and yes, they come on once a week and run about 10 minutes to exercise themselves. My sister also has one for her house and it's a newer model and MUCH quieter than ours, which is about 7 years old.
They don't have a "chimney" on them. Just a grill they exhaust through, and since they run a while each week there's no worry of rodents building nests in them. Plus they sit a safe distance from the house. They look about like an outside air conditioning unit.
Once a year it needs an oil change and air filter change (20 minute job) and that's it. Otherwise we never think about it. It comes on when needed, goes off shortly after utility power returns.
egoodell said:
Not real expensive. A conduit of wires comes with it. These wires run from the generator to your house's breaker box. The conduit is about 30' long. If you want to put it farther from the breaker box than that, you can run their conduit to a junction box, then run additional wiring, as much as needed, from the junction box to the breaker box. So the only expense is the junction box and extra wire and conduit, and a few minutes to make connections between the two conduits. Maybe a couple of hundred dollars, but not a huge expense.
50d24aeeaa8ed_standby_generator.jpeg

We also have a generac which will run the whole place (3 buildings). This is our second one because the old one that was here when we bought the place finally went out. This new one is much more powerful and MUCH more quiet. It 'exercises' once a week for a few minutes. I wouldn't worry about the noise when it's running since guests won't care about noise if they ultimately have power when the rest of the area is without.
Ours runs on propane. You will definitely need to have an electrician do the hookup.
For us, it's an absolute necessity because we also pump our water in. No electricity, no water....no guests! It's a comforting feeling knowing that you don't have to send people away if your power gets knocked out.

Holy Cow...what a nut case!! I'm late to this thread so all I can add is Happy New Year....let's all hope that this nut case was the last one you will ever get!!

Riki
egoodell said:
Arks said:
egoodell said:
It takes a LOT of power, and the utility co. power rarely goes off for long in the summer, so not including the AC means you can save money by getting a smaller generator.
Guess that depend on where you live Arks!
wink_smile.gif

Through this I'm picturing Fanne Foxe, the then-young Argentine stripper who had an affair with the powerful Chairman of the U. S. House Ways and Means Committee, Arkansas Congressman Wilber D. Mills, in the 70's. The affair became public when the Washington police pulled them over after a night of drinking, and Fanne went running through the Tidal Basin trying to escape.
Mills called her his "Little Argentine Hillbilly," but in her striptease act she was known as "The Argentine Firecracker," which made me think of her as JB described the firecracker that blew up in her house yesterday.
I hope they spent New Year's Eve eating a cold Big Mac in a Motel 6, with no tiara..
Arks said:
I hope they spent New Year's Eve eating a cold Big Mac in a Motel 6, with no tiara.
You are learning from the best (Gillum) to turn all conversations back to Arkansas...or er was it because of the illegal activit or newsworthiness of another polictical Arkansawer in the news? haha

I was thinking/fuming about this again this morning, trying to figure out why she expected to be IN the mountains. I used the Internet "way back machine" to see how your website looked a few weeks ago. You specifically say rolling foot hills. Nothing at all misleading.
Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework.

I was thinking/fuming about this again this morning, trying to figure out why she expected to be IN the mountains. I used the Internet "way back machine" to see how your website looked a few weeks ago. You specifically say rolling foot hills. Nothing at all misleading.
Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework..
Give it up, Arks. There is no figuring why. It may be that she was disappointed that he didn't take her to Switzerland and she was going to make him PAY for it in aggravation. It clearly was not anything to do with JB's representation of the B+B. This one was a real nut case. Let's all just be thankful that they only come around once in while and hope that JB can forget about the nasty B*%^ch.

Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework..
Arks said:
Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework.
Yes I blame the guy.
Our name is significant, there is a rocky mount two blocks from us, fyi. Being a naturalist or Sierra Club member you would recognize the term bald knob. The furniture manufacturing here in town owned by the orig owners of this home was called Bald Knob Furniture, also Lane Furniture, why we have the walnut ceilings throughout. In this "Terrible place" doh.
Thank you for fuming about it, that means a lot. It is always easier to deal with psychos as they are so far off the mark that you can laugh at it later. (later... being key).
FWIW I mentioned it to a few in these mountains here, and they were madder than all get out, they were so insulted. I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders to put them and the area down. I guess I kinda feel the same way now...I happen to think it is great here, and love these mountains.

Arks said:
Yes I blame the guy.
Our name is significant, there is a rocky mount two blocks from us, fyi. Being a naturalist or Sierra Club member you would recognize the term bald knob. The furniture manufacturing here in town owned by the orig owners of this home was called Bald Knob Furniture, also Lane Furniture, why we have the walnut ceilings throughout. In this "Terrible place" doh.
Thank you for fuming about it, that means a lot. It is always easier to deal with psychos as they are so far off the mark that you can laugh at it later. (later... being key).
FWIW I mentioned it to a few in these mountains here, and they were madder than all get out, they were so insulted. I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders to put them and the area down. I guess I kinda feel the same way now...I happen to think it is great here, and love these mountains.
Sending hugs your way. It's funny how these nut cases can rent space in our heads...taking up valuable space in our hearts and minds.
angry_smile.gif
I can't think of a more outstanding innkeeper than you and you bend over backwards to make sure that your guests are happy. Dig a hole and bury this one. Wait....I'll get the shovel!
wink_smile.gif

Arks said:
Yes I blame the guy.
Joey Bloggs said:
...you would recognize the term bald knob.
Yep. Bald Knob, Ark. is not far from here! It's our strawberry capital. And the Baldknobbers Jamboree is one of the biggest shows in Branson Bob's area.
Joey Bloggs said:
I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders...
Oooo! We've faced that a lot here. We try to promote tourism as bringing in outside money to enrich our county, but a lot of locals say they don't want their old money. They want things to stay just like it has always been, with no strangers allowed.

Back