THE PSYCHOS are HERE!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking/fuming about this again this morning, trying to figure out why she expected to be IN the mountains. I used the Internet "way back machine" to see how your website looked a few weeks ago. You specifically say rolling foot hills. Nothing at all misleading.
Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework..
Arks said:
I was thinking/fuming about this again this morning, trying to figure out why she expected to be IN the mountains. I used the Internet "way back machine" to see how your website looked a few weeks ago. You specifically say rolling foot hills. Nothing at all misleading.
Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework.
Yes I blame the guy.
Our name is significant, there is a rocky mount two blocks from us, fyi. Being a naturalist or Sierra Club member you would recognize the term bald knob. The furniture manufacturing here in town owned by the orig owners of this home was called Bald Knob Furniture, also Lane Furniture, why we have the walnut ceilings throughout. In this "Terrible place" doh.
Thank you for fuming about it, that means a lot. It is always easier to deal with psychos as they are so far off the mark that you can laugh at it later. (later... being key).
FWIW I mentioned it to a few in these mountains here, and they were madder than all get out, they were so insulted. I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders to put them and the area down. I guess I kinda feel the same way now...I happen to think it is great here, and love these mountains.
FWIW I mentioned it to a few in these mountains here, and they were madder than all get out, they were so insulted. I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders to put them and the area down. I guess I kinda feel the same way now...I happen to think it is great here, and love these mountains.
Exactly - we each have found our own "patch of heaven" - the place we belong and do not want to leave. THAT feeling comes through to most people. You are able to bring it alive in your blogs, photos, and all you do. (I apparently do it best in person as many guests have commented on it. I am NOT a writer.) And that is when you become part of it - it is part of YOU and when it is insulted or put down you stand up for it like it was a member of your family. People come to your area because you make it a place they MUST visit. Most, and I mean most, people are looking for their piece of heaven and have not found it. Many never will find it because they do not really understand how it is found. Because it is not "found", it just creeps up and grabs you - THAT is when you know you belong right where you are.

Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework..
Arks said:
Do you think she just looked at the name of your town and jumped to conclusions? I'd say chances are good it was the GUY who booked it and told her it was in the mountains without really doing his homework.
Yes I blame the guy.
Our name is significant, there is a rocky mount two blocks from us, fyi. Being a naturalist or Sierra Club member you would recognize the term bald knob. The furniture manufacturing here in town owned by the orig owners of this home was called Bald Knob Furniture, also Lane Furniture, why we have the walnut ceilings throughout. In this "Terrible place" doh.
Thank you for fuming about it, that means a lot. It is always easier to deal with psychos as they are so far off the mark that you can laugh at it later. (later... being key).
Sending hugs your way. It's funny how these nut cases can rent space in our heads...taking up valuable space in our hearts and minds.
angry_smile.gif
I can't think of a more outstanding innkeeper than you and you bend over backwards to make sure that your guests are happy. Dig a hole and bury this one. Wait....I'll get the shovel!
wink_smile.gif

Thanks Silvers. Appreciate it.
heart.gif

Arks said:
Yes I blame the guy.
Joey Bloggs said:
...you would recognize the term bald knob.
Yep. Bald Knob, Ark. is not far from here! It's our strawberry capital. And the Baldknobbers Jamboree is one of the biggest shows in Branson Bob's area.
Joey Bloggs said:
I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders...
Oooo! We've faced that a lot here. We try to promote tourism as bringing in outside money to enrich our county, but a lot of locals say they don't want their old money. They want things to stay just like it has always been, with no strangers allowed.
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yep. Bald Knob, Ark. is not far from here! It's our strawberry capital. And the Baldknobbers Jamboree is one of the biggest shows in Branson Bob's area.
Joey Bloggs said:
I never tell the locals these sorts of things, or they would hate us, bringing in no-good outsiders...
Oooo! We've faced that a lot here. We try to promote tourism as bringing in outside money to enrich our county, but a lot of locals say they don't want their old money. They want things to stay just like it has always been, with no strangers allowed.
Well then you need to blog like I blogged "Balds are beautiful"

Arks said:
Yes I blame the guy.
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
It is neither stubbornness nor anger - it is FEAR!! It is fear of losing their area. Just look at Branson of 30 years ago and Branson today. I look at the Easten Panhandle of West Virginia of the before and after and saw it happen in Illinois just west of where we lived. All of these examples went rom being a nice place, not rich but getting along where people knew and helped their neighbors to being overrun by strangers and their wants and needs.
They came and saw peaceful, quiet, clean so they came. But then they needed their Fivebucks for on the way to work, their import deli, and more and more of them came. The field that used to grow vegetables, fruit, or just hay now grew houses and it became a traffic snarled mess just like what they left.
We have encountered that fear here here and the fact that the person leading the changes is a "homer" with no desire to go elsewhere has made the difference. Plus the changes have been subtle for the most part - protective of the fabric of the city rather than ripping it apart. Getting a park and improving it and the park area by the little League Field and the old pool area. The rail-trail. The new businesses in town are not glitzy, the new restaurants are a reincarnation of one old one and an Asian so it is something different but not going to "take over". FEAR is the enemy you have to deal with, Arkie.
And BTW - I happen to think you are doing it the right way. You are not building a glitzy hotel to bring in dozens of people at a time, you have your guesthouse and will eventually have your B & B, there is your sister's store, and the shops around the Square to entice people who are looking for quiet and peaceful breaks but realize they would go nuts living there. We bring them in a few at a time with their lovely NEW money to filter in to our economy without it being enough at any time to give anyone the idea they can make a killing bringing in "TOURISTS" like they did in Branson. This will calm he fear level enough that by the time you get your B & B ready the town will be ready to welcome the "tens" you bring in instead of the dozens. Just my NVHO
And I forgot - Spruce Knob is the highest peak is WV with Bald Knob the second (it is a few feet lower).

Back