To Reply or Not To Reply - That Is The Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for your input. I have been given the go ahead by the PTB to draft a response. I took some of your ideas and came up with this rough draft. Do you think its too much? Opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
[FONT= &quot]It saddens us to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the _______Bed and Breakfast. We have an excellent reputation for clean and comfortable lodging since the start of our business in 1997. We are an owner operated establishment and live on site.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]We regret you were dissatisfied in any way. However, after demonstrating how to open and close our screened windows, if we had been made aware that any bugs had somehow flown into your room, we would have dealt with the situation immediately. [/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]All rooms have extra blankets and pillows available for the asking. It is peculiar to us as to why with all the emailing from your room to the inns office during your stay, why any problems or concerns would have gone unmentioned until after your departure.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]It is unfortunate that we were not aware of your issues while your were with us. Had you mentioned them, we would have been happy to address any problems you may have had. Perhaps the burnt matches, the spilled candle wax in the carpet, the pizza remains found stuffed into the dresser as well as the furniture damaged during your stay caused you not to approach us.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Furthermore, in emails after your departure in which you apologized for the damage done to your room and agreed to pay for the damages, to write such a disparaging review is nothing short of retaliatory and vindictive.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Your insulting comments about our staff, shows contempt for our inn & we are very glad that you would not return.[/FONT][FONT= &quot] [/FONT].
Too long. Too grumpy. Don't write it to her, write it for the next guest reading it. Think 'big picture'...who is going to read this? Her? Probably not. But a looooong list of future guests ARE going to read this. (I kind of like throwing the 'pizza in the dresser' comment in there, tho!) Don't ever get personal in the mgmt response, don't insult the guest because the next guest may get the impression that there WAS something to the bad review, maybe she was AFRAID to approach you to ask for anything...Your insulting comments about our staff, shows contempt for our inn & we are very glad that you would not return.

Thank you all for your input. I have been given the go ahead by the PTB to draft a response. I took some of your ideas and came up with this rough draft. Do you think its too much? Opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
[FONT= &quot]It saddens us to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the _______Bed and Breakfast. We have an excellent reputation for clean and comfortable lodging since the start of our business in 1997. We are an owner operated establishment and live on site.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]We regret you were dissatisfied in any way. However, after demonstrating how to open and close our screened windows, if we had been made aware that any bugs had somehow flown into your room, we would have dealt with the situation immediately. [/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]All rooms have extra blankets and pillows available for the asking. It is peculiar to us as to why with all the emailing from your room to the inns office during your stay, why any problems or concerns would have gone unmentioned until after your departure.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]It is unfortunate that we were not aware of your issues while your were with us. Had you mentioned them, we would have been happy to address any problems you may have had. Perhaps the burnt matches, the spilled candle wax in the carpet, the pizza remains found stuffed into the dresser as well as the furniture damaged during your stay caused you not to approach us.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Furthermore, in emails after your departure in which you apologized for the damage done to your room and agreed to pay for the damages, to write such a disparaging review is nothing short of retaliatory and vindictive.[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Your insulting comments about our staff, shows contempt for our inn & we are very glad that you would not return.[/FONT][FONT= &quot] [/FONT].
Too much, I think you can get your point across in a less attacking manner. While I understand that you feel attacked, if I were a review reader, I would be thinking "oh boy" if I saw that response, and it would make me thing twice about staying...it portrays you in a rather unflattering light.
If it were me, paragraphs two, three and six would be deleted. Paragraph four would be changed to something along these lines:
"It is unfortunate that we were not aware of the issues you stated during your stay. Had you mentioned them, we would have been happy to address any problems you may have had. Perhaps the room and furniture damages that ocurred during your stay caused you not to approach us."
I think paragraph five should read along these lines:
"In our email exchanges after your departure, you apologized for the damage done to your room and furnishings, and agreed that you should pay for them. However, nothing was mentioned about any problems that you experienced during your stay. That you would write such an untruthful and disparaging review about the Inn under the circumstances is very unfair, and we can only assume that it is in retaliation for being charged for damages done".
But, that's just me, and no doubt there are those on this forum who feel otherwise. You just have to remember that whatever you post stays, and it cannot be removed or edited.
Edited to add: Perhaps the best approach is the shortest and most to the point, since your response is really aimed at readers and not the reviewer (in fact, if you gear it to her, you are just giving her the satisfaction and making yourself look worse than she tried to make you look). Try something like
"This review is the result of the guest being charged for costly room and furniture damage done during her stay."

While not a great review, it's not as bad as I was expecting, and I don't see any insults directed toward you or your staff. As a reader of reviews, I would not take that review very seriously or vote it as "helpful".
I say go with the short and to the point reply, if you bother at all.

Too much, I think you can get your point across in a less attacking manner. While I understand that you feel attacked, if I were a review reader, I would be thinking "oh boy" if I saw that response, and it would make me thing twice about staying...it portrays you in a rather unflattering light.
If it were me, paragraphs two, three and six would be deleted. Paragraph four would be changed to something along these lines:
"It is unfortunate that we were not aware of the issues you stated during your stay. Had you mentioned them, we would have been happy to address any problems you may have had. Perhaps the room and furniture damages that ocurred during your stay caused you not to approach us."
I think paragraph five should read along these lines:
"In our email exchanges after your departure, you apologized for the damage done to your room and furnishings, and agreed that you should pay for them. However, nothing was mentioned about any problems that you experienced during your stay. That you would write such an untruthful and disparaging review about the Inn under the circumstances is very unfair, and we can only assume that it is in retaliation for being charged for damages done".
But, that's just me, and no doubt there are those on this forum who feel otherwise. You just have to remember that whatever you post stays, and it cannot be removed or edited.
Edited to add: Perhaps the best approach is the shortest and most to the point, since your response is really aimed at readers and not the reviewer (in fact, if you gear it to her, you are just giving her the satisfaction and making yourself look worse than she tried to make you look). Try something like
"This review is the result of the guest being charged for costly room and furniture damage done during her stay."
"You just have to remember that whatever you post stays, and it cannot be removed or edited."
That is not true. It can be either removed or edited. I've done both. Mine was edited to be stronger after TA removed the caveat that you couldn't say anything negative about them.
However, the guest also has the option of rewriting their review. They just can't rebut your response. So in essence, you have the last word.

Address this issues she mentions, they are important...
  • Innkeeper(s) unavailable (BIG ISSUE)- without your entire personal details being out there explain the in room phones and the phone numbers
  • No cable TV (as advertised)- address this one way or the other, either you have it or you don't; either you advertise it or you don't
  • No screens in the windows
  • Cramped dining
  • Other guest complained about an issue that was not resolved (or it was and she just brought it up again)- explain you have 'European-style' bedding if you don't have blankets right on the bed.
If you bring up everything else that happened, then you sound vindictive. 'Oh, yeah, you think what SHE says is bad, wait til you find out what WE had to deal with.' It's irrelevant.
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review.

• Innkeeper(s) unavailable (BIG ISSUE)- without your entire personal details being out there explain the in room phones and the phone numbers
  • No cable TV (as advertised)- address this one way or the other, either you have it or you don't; either you advertise it or you don't
  • Cramped dining
  • Other guest complained about an issue that was not resolved (or it was and she just brought it up again)- explain you have 'European-style' bedding if you don't have blankets right on the bed.
If you bring up everything else that happened, then you sound vindictive. 'Oh, yeah, you think what SHE says is bad, wait til you find out what WE had to deal with.' It's irrelevant.
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review..
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review.
Really....? What do you mean? *scratches head in confusion*

Don't do it FD.
She would get her friends to review you next, and the saga will continue. You will have to stress over it, contacting TA to tell them it is not legit, etc.
All glowing reviews and one lunker? Ignore it and get some new great reviews on there and move on. Seriousely. You are giving her POWER right now by all of this, and the response will never be perfect. You take a GREATER chance of putting other guests off by your response.

very sad review.
sad_smile.gif
didn't even try your breakfast because 'the dining accomodations appeared cramped and uncomfortable'?
that is very sad. sometimes, a guest's impression of a place can be totally swayed by an awesome breakfast. even the guest in question seems to know that half of the point of a bed and breakfast is the breakfast.
hopefully all this venting about it is cathartic for you!

• Cramped dining
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review..
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
Not sure what the head scratching is about? The comments the guest made that should be addressed because they can be real issues for other guests or that posting that makes it searchable which means anyone can search for any of the guest's comments and come up with your TA reviews and thus your inn name?

Don't do it FD.
She would get her friends to review you next, and the saga will continue. You will have to stress over it, contacting TA to tell them it is not legit, etc.
All glowing reviews and one lunker? Ignore it and get some new great reviews on there and move on. Seriousely. You are giving her POWER right now by all of this, and the response will never be perfect. You take a GREATER chance of putting other guests off by your response..
Silence implies consent. To fail to reply to these claims leads the reader to believe that they probably happened and are true; worse yet, that you didn't know how to respond to them.

very sad review.
sad_smile.gif
didn't even try your breakfast because 'the dining accomodations appeared cramped and uncomfortable'?
that is very sad. sometimes, a guest's impression of a place can be totally swayed by an awesome breakfast. even the guest in question seems to know that half of the point of a bed and breakfast is the breakfast.
hopefully all this venting about it is cathartic for you!.
seashanty said:
very sad review.
sad_smile.gif
hopefully all this venting about it is cathartic for you!
It is sad. We have a lovely formal dining area. It is not cramped or uncomfortable in any way. She is the one that had all those dietary considerations that I went and bought food for. She never came to breakfast either day, so it was all in vain.

• Cramped dining
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
Not sure what the head scratching is about? The comments the guest made that should be addressed because they can be real issues for other guests or that posting that makes it searchable which means anyone can search for any of the guest's comments and come up with your TA reviews and thus your inn name?
Bree said:
Ohhhh....thank you for explaining that.

Don't do it FD.
All glowing reviews and one lunker? Ignore it and get some new great reviews on there and move on. Seriousely. You are giving her POWER right now by all of this, and the response will never be perfect. You take a GREATER chance of putting other guests off by your response..
Silence implies consent. To fail to reply to these claims leads the reader to believe that they probably happened and are true; worse yet, that you didn't know how to respond to them.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
If you do reply, how can you not address every single erroneous comment? If you do then the reader will not be impressed. No one, I repeat NO ONE wants to read a diatribe on a TA review.
If you can say in one swift line something to address everything for future guests benefit - then do it. I would like to see it done (here on the forum in draft form of course).
I challenge the forum members to write a one line reply to THAT TA review. Otherwise, ignoring it is 100% better than challenging the writer of the review. Anyone who reads all the other reviews will know that person was off their rocker.

Don't do it FD.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
If you do reply, how can you not address every single erroneous comment? If you do then the reader will not be impressed. No one, I repeat NO ONE wants to read a diatribe on a TA review.
If you can say in one swift line something to address everything for future guests benefit - then do it. I would like to see it done (here on the forum in draft form of course).
I challenge the forum members to write a one line reply to THAT TA review. Otherwise, ignoring it is 100% better than challenging the writer of the review. Anyone who reads all the other reviews will know that person was off their rocker.
How about
"As none of these issues was mentioned by the guest during our many recent email exchanges regarding costly room and furniture damage done during her stay, this review appears to be the result of her being charged for said damages".

new thought
in view of the fact that you have an email exchange with her where she acknowledges breaking furniture and agreeing to pay for damage, would this be grounds for trip advisor to remove the review because it seems to be retaliatory?
i think i would contact her and request that it be removed, explaining the above and that you are contacting trip advisor. i would also contact trip advisor... assuming there is such a policy in place???

Don't do it FD.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
How about
"As none of these issues was mentioned by the guest during our many recent email exchanges regarding costly room and furniture damage done during her stay, this review appears to be the result of her being charged for said damages".
Little Blue said:
How about
That's pretty succinct. And if mention is going to be made of the guest damage to the room, that's a straightforward way to say it.

Don't do it FD.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
Joe Bloggs said:
off their rocker.
The broken one?

Don't do it FD.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
How about
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!

Don't do it FD.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
How about
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
Joe Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
...being charged for said damages that she has since confessed to (or agreed to) causing.

Don't do it FD.
SweetiePie said:
I totally disagree.
How about
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
Joe Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
...being charged for said damages that she has since confessed to (or agreed to) causing.
penelope said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
Good addition.

Back