Took the plunge on Air

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?.
2cat_lady said:
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?
have you asked the experts?
I am sure they, er we, can come up with the reason it is booked last. If you give us a link maybe we can guess which one it is and why? Like why WE WOULD CHOOSE it last?
Would love the family's input! The room that's always the last is Golden Bay.
https://v2.reservationkey.com/3566/reserve
2cat_lady said:
How did I guess that was the room? Here's how:
Green says "has a beautiful view of"
Grey says "has wonderful views of"
Golden says "have a good view of"
and
Grey says "Your bright and spacious private, detatched bathroom is just a few steps away."
Golden says "Your private, detached bathroom is just a few steps down the hallway."
Golden appears the be the red-headed step child.
Joey Bloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
and
Grey says "Your bright and spacious private, detatched bathroom is just a few steps away."
Golden says "Your private, detached bathroom is just a few steps down the hallway."
Haha. You caught me. Golden Bay, although it is the second largest, isn't the best room. Blue Cove and Green's Harbour's views are awesome. They face the ocean directly. Golden Bay is more of a side view of two different bays, both ocean views but not dead on. And you do have to walk a few more steps to its private bathroom than the other two. (The other one is ensuite) I was trying to be as truthful as possible so that anyone arriving felt that I had duped them. It' still an awesome room, very bright, but geez, I don't want them thinking they've reserved a room at the Hilton, lol!
Detached bath here, too. It was a problem for years. It always booked, eventually. I wanted it booked first so it was out of the lineup and not the only room left.
So. Partial renovation - strip wallpaper, add 2 nice chairs, change wall pictures, new photos online.
Lower price so this room is $20 less than any other. At $10 less it wasn't a big enough difference. Guests would upgrade themselves leaving me with what we all call the plague room.
This room is consistently booked thru the summer. Not the last room booked at all.
If rooms have gorgeous views, show the views. If this room of yours has views of two bays play that up. And make sure the full on view rooms cost enough more to make this room a deal.

I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?.
2cat_lady said:
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?
I am sure they, er we, can come up with the reason it is booked last. If you give us a link maybe we can guess which one it is and why? Like why WE WOULD CHOOSE it last?
2cat_lady said:
and
Joey Bloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
and
Haha. You caught me. Golden Bay, although it is the second largest, isn't the best room. Blue Cove and Green's Harbour's views are awesome. They face the ocean directly. Golden Bay is more of a side view of two different bays, both ocean views but not dead on. And you do have to walk a few more steps to its private bathroom than the other two. (The other one is ensuite) I was trying to be as truthful as possible so that anyone arriving felt that I had duped them. It' still an awesome room, very bright, but geez, I don't want them thinking they've reserved a room at the Hilton, lol!
Detached bath here, too. It was a problem for years. It always booked, eventually. I wanted it booked first so it was out of the lineup and not the only room left.
So. Partial renovation - strip wallpaper, add 2 nice chairs, change wall pictures, new photos online.
Lower price so this room is $20 less than any other. At $10 less it wasn't a big enough difference. Guests would upgrade themselves leaving me with what we all call the plague room.
This room is consistently booked thru the summer. Not the last room booked at all.
If rooms have gorgeous views, show the views. If this room of yours has views of two bays play that up. And make sure the full on view rooms cost enough more to make this room a deal.
Morticia said:
If the room has view out two windows that may be my favorite room over the others with a view out one window. But alas I do not know without photos showing me the windows and he view.
I think we do a great disservice when we show our guest rooms with a photo of a bed.
Yes, we know there is a bed, what else ya got? We all do it, it is the focal point of the room, right? Well not really.
For me would I pay for more a view I can see from most anywhere else on the property vs a quiet corner of the house? I think our innmate is using her adjectives in an overly cautious or underused way to be extra careful when 1 photo does the trick, 1 is worth 1000 words.
If there is one thing EVERYONE who has been on this forum should know by now is that:
PHOTOS SELL![/h3]

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
and
Joey Bloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
and
Morticia said:
If the room has view out two windows that may be my favorite room over the others with a view out one window. But alas I do not know without photos showing me the windows and he view.
I think we do a great disservice when we show our guest rooms with a photo of a bed.
Yes, we know there is a bed, what else ya got? We all do it, it is the focal point of the room, right? Well not really.
For me would I pay for more a view I can see from most anywhere else on the property vs a quiet corner of the house? I think our innmate is using her adjectives in an overly cautious or underused way to be extra careful when 1 photo does the trick, 1 is worth 1000 words.
If there is one thing EVERYONE who has been on this forum should know by now is that:
PHOTOS SELL![/h3]
Yes guests are always asking what the views are out the window. Ok. You get rooms A - D you look at the parking lot or a busy street. Rooms E - G you look at the neighbor's driveway.
I got no stinking views so of course I don't take pictures out the window! But if you have views, by golly show them!
I can't even find 2 corners of the room to stand in to take 2 different angles of the room. At least with just 1 photo you might think the room is bigger than a shoebox.
And bathroom shots? Not happening. You have a walk in closet? Go open the door and pretend you've got a 3 piece washroom in there. That's our bathrooms.
Just saying that sometimes you have to avoid photos that will turn guests off. Most of our guests aren't here for the view or even to be here. They're staying because of the things they want to do outside the inn.
We have almost an acre of nicely tended lawns with huge trees and gardens. How often do I see anyone sitting outside in one of the 10 different lawn chairs? Almost never.
You know who uses my lawn chairs? The neighbors waiting for the school bus.
Sorry. Got carried away. Take pictures of what sells.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
My very first look was all photos, one right after another. Golden had a total different angle than all the rest. It gave a tight fit look and not in line like the rest. Skip! Try next room. (The other pictures showed the complete beds and surrounds. Made it feel big even if its smaller than golden. Get the camera out and click so it match the other photos at least....)

2cat_lady said:
OK, honest impression on photos:
Hate the garage doors in outside photos for many reasons. Try a shot hiding them.
All rooms look same, headboard, 2 white lamps, etc. Like a commodity. At least use diff lampshades.
Detest most of the paint colors, dull and uninviting. Paint is the cheap way to wow. And consider crown moulding partway up with diff look above and below. and tasteful art. Try and watch some hotel impossible episodes for stunning ideas.
Overall, wanted to yawn. Dazzle me instead so I want to book.

2cat_lady said:
Hate the garage doors in outside photos for many reasons. Try a shot hiding them.
All rooms look same, headboard, 2 white lamps, etc. Like a commodity. At least use diff lampshades.
Detest most of the paint colors, dull and uninviting. Paint is the cheap way to wow. And consider crown moulding partway up with diff look above and below. and tasteful art. Try and watch some hotel impossible episodes for stunning ideas.
I agree, I do need to do some different photos. That is on the agenda once I have full control of the website.
As far as decor--to each his own.
I'm not a 'country' inn. This is Newfoundland. Our 'country' is the traditional salt box house which for the most part, is cramped and cluttered. I offer guests an alternative. Uncluttered and clean. More than once my guests have said that I don't feel like a 'bed and breakfast' because I don't have a million knick knacks cluttering up every horizontal space.
As far as the paint colours, well I used to work for Benjamin Moore. The colours are are very pleasing to the eye and very relaxing. I actually keep extra paint chips in my kitchen because my guests keep 'borrowing' mine so that they can remember the paint colour for their own home. I've had designers stay with me that have been able to guess some of the colours because they are designer classics and they use them on their projects.
The garage doors-- well they are what they are. I don't have any trees to hide behind. Just the ocean in front and the back. I know. Boring stuff. Maybe that's why people are so happy that when they arrive they get exactly what they see on my pictures. One of the best views of the Avalon. Not a picture that was photoshopped with a field of flowers in front only to discover that the photographer had to get on their belly to block out the neighbours.
I think I'll stay with my 'boring' decor but I will spice up the site with new pictures in the coming months. I must be doing something right though, I'm already at the halfway mark of my reservations for all of last year and I'm only int the beginning of March.

2cat_lady said:
I agree, I do need to do some different photos. That is on the agenda once I have full control of the website.
I'm not a 'country' inn. This is Newfoundland. Our 'country' is the traditional salt box house which for the most part, is cramped and cluttered. I offer guests an alternative. Uncluttered and clean. More than once my guests have said that I don't feel like a 'bed and breakfast' because I don't have a million knick knacks cluttering up every horizontal space.
As far as the paint colours, well I used to work for Benjamin Moore. The colours are are very pleasing to the eye and very relaxing. I actually keep extra paint chips in my kitchen because my guests keep 'borrowing' mine so that they can remember the paint colour for their own home. I've had designers stay with me that have been able to guess some of the colours because they are designer classics and they use them on their projects.
The garage doors-- well they are what they are. I don't have any trees to hide behind. Just the ocean in front and the back. I know. Boring stuff. Maybe that's why people are so happy that when they arrive they get exactly what they see on my pictures. One of the best views of the Avalon. Not a picture that was photoshopped with a field of flowers in front only to discover that the photographer had to get on their belly to block out the neighbours.
I think I'll stay with my 'boring' decor but I will spice up the site with new pictures in the coming months. I must be doing something right though, I'm already at the halfway mark of my reservations for all of last year and I'm only int the beginning of March.
I am not suggesting doing any "set-up", but is there no way to take a photo of the house from a different angle. Move to the right a bit. The house looks really nice. It is not necessary to show the garage. It does not have to be, it is what it is if you want a better photo. IF I ever get the fence I want and the side yard fixed the way I want it, I will no longer be using a "head-on" shot of my house. There is nothing spectacular about it but if I get that yard the way I want, it will look better - I hope. All it will take is some money and a tied & gagged DH.

2cat_lady said:
Turn the lights on in the photos. That's a biggie. If you have one of those 'garage' lights for working on the car, haul that in to light up the dark corners when you take the pix.
Yes, of you can, take the photos at an angle looking out the window. This is where the garage light comes in handy for making the room as bright as outside. Unless you can adjust your camera settings.
Back up a little bit and try throwing a little color into the room pictures with a bright throw on the edge of the bed. Just a little pop, that's all you need.
Maybe a book on the nightstand? Something to put a little life into the photos.
I get the look. You want clean lines where everyone else has clutter. Good for you!
Years ago I posted photos live on here as I was making changes. Everyone chimed in and the photos were much better because of it.
I still have un photogenic rooms. They look awful in photos. I keep trying.
It's always nice to help someone who is happy to help and be helped. Someday we'll come to visit. We have friends in Halifax and it's not *that* much farther to you! ;-)

2cat_lady said:
I am not suggesting doing any "set-up", but is there no way to take a photo of the house from a different angle. Move to the right a bit. The house looks really nice. It is not necessary to show the garage. It does not have to be, it is what it is if you want a better photo. IF I ever get the fence I want and the side yard fixed the way I want it, I will no longer be using a "head-on" shot of my house. There is nothing spectacular about it but if I get that yard the way I want, it will look better - I hope. All it will take is some money and a tied & gagged DH.
Agree with Gillum. If you can move over a few feet to the right for the house photo OR forget the photo from the road and just take it from the house out to the ocean that might be better. (Them again, if you're in the bay at that point, maybe get the photo from a boat!)
Get a corner of the house with the view out to the sea. Take the house photo from the house out to the view.
I hate my house photos. From the front the house looks like it's about 500 sq ft. From the side it's not all that pretty, either. It's nice i have so many mature trees but they get in the way! I generally use food photos instead of house photos where a non-room photo is called for.

2cat_lady said:
Agree with Gillum. If you can move over a few feet to the right for the house photo OR forget the photo from the road and just take it from the house out to the ocean that might be better. (Them again, if you're in the bay at that point, maybe get the photo from a boat!)
Get a corner of the house with the view out to the sea. Take the house photo from the house out to the view.
I hate my house photos. From the front the house looks like it's about 500 sq ft. From the side it's not all that pretty, either. It's nice i have so many mature trees but they get in the way! I generally use food photos instead of house photos where a non-room photo is called for.
Thanks Gillum and Tish. I was fooling around outside last week with different angles to try and show off the view and bring in the pop of colour with our sign. When the weather gets better and greener, I'll stage it a little artistically.
I like the idea of those garage lights. Never thought of that. Plus, once I get my upholstered chairs, one at a time, lol, I'll be able to set them up in the corner along with a floor lamp. Then I'll have a cozy nook in each room too.
Once the weather warms up, I can take the screens off and hang out the window and take those ocean view shots. Maybe I can get a whale or two to cooperate and show me a little flip of their tail. That or maybe I'll have another iceberg stuck in my backyard again. That would be a bonus.

2cat_lady said:
Thanks Gillum and Tish. I was fooling around outside last week with different angles to try and show off the view and bring in the pop of colour with our sign. When the weather gets better and greener, I'll stage it a little artistically.
I like the idea of those garage lights. Never thought of that. Plus, once I get my upholstered chairs, one at a time, lol, I'll be able to set them up in the corner along with a floor lamp. Then I'll have a cozy nook in each room too.
Once the weather warms up, I can take the screens off and hang out the window and take those ocean view shots. Maybe I can get a whale or two to cooperate and show me a little flip of their tail. That or maybe I'll have another iceberg stuck in my backyard again. That would be a bonus.
Try to get the view framed by the window. If guests see the window they are more likely to think that's the real view.
If you're hanging out the window no one is sure the photo is from the room.
I saw one photo that made me want to call right then and there... Open window, light cotton curtain blowing in the breeze, view out to the water. If you can pull a chair up to the window, place a book on the chair (or binoculars to see those whales!) wow, I'd want to stay there.

2cat_lady said:
Try to get the view framed by the window. If guests see the window they are more likely to think that's the real view.
I saw one photo that made me want to call right then and there... Open window, light cotton curtain blowing in the breeze, view out to the water. If you can pull a chair up to the window, place a book on the chair (or binoculars to see those whales!) wow, I'd want to stay there.
Got it. Just minus the screens for the shot. Thanks.

2cat_lady said:
When I was taking photos for my new web site, I posted them here where they were ripped to shreds - which is what I was aiming for - until I had approval from the innmates. I need to do photos again because 2 of my rooms now have new beds (one was moved from another room) and I put the third bed on "stilts" (risers that have outlets & USB ports in one - no more back ache making the %^&* bed and extra outlets). As soon as my custom-made bookcase headboard is installed I plan to have a pro photographer in. He does architectural photography AND food photography - and is in my financial realm. He does the photography for a "brass hat" (the Ritz crowd) magazine here - the kind of magazine I cannot afford a subscription to and definitely not an ad.

2cat_lady said:
When I was taking photos for my new web site, I posted them here where they were ripped to shreds - which is what I was aiming for - until I had approval from the innmates. I need to do photos again because 2 of my rooms now have new beds (one was moved from another room) and I put the third bed on "stilts" (risers that have outlets & USB ports in one - no more back ache making the %^&* bed and extra outlets). As soon as my custom-made bookcase headboard is installed I plan to have a pro photographer in. He does architectural photography AND food photography - and is in my financial realm. He does the photography for a "brass hat" (the Ritz crowd) magazine here - the kind of magazine I cannot afford a subscription to and definitely not an ad.
gillumhouse said:
When I was taking photos for my new web site, I posted them here where they were ripped to shreds - which is what I was aiming for -
Is there a word for that? Something that hurts and feels good at the same time? If not, I will call it the Tabasco effect!

It's so true. No fun at all to have your work ripped to shreds, but when you come out the other end, it was worth it because the input really is both very valuable and unattainable anywhere else (assuming the PAII forums are still like they used to be).

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
Good idea!

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
I love the colors. Don't let anyone's "opinion" deter what you do or what you have. I just want more! Show me more more more! :) (and I sure hope I did not come across as rudely as that, I never meant it at all, only the boast about what a great place you have, I picked up on your personality and the feel of your place from your posts here...but I know that does not convey on your website...yet.
I want to see the view you mention, and describe on the room info as I know it is magnificent! When the weather clears you can go to town getting photos. I can't wait to see them 2cat_lady!
No need to hide garage doors or anything like that, just EMPHASIZE the great things you have there, the view being paramount. I know you see it every day so you may not grasp the greatness as someone, say this person typing this who lives in the mountains and longs for the sea...
thumbs_up.gif

You will have fun getting great photos and playing with them and sharing them. I know you had those early guests who found you to be the best kept secret, but kept secrets don't pay the bills, so good on ya for getting control over your site soon. If you want a second set of eyes on anything, let me know. From the outside looking in so to speak...
BRING ON THE TAIL OF THE WHALE!

2cat_lady said:
gillumhouse said:
When I was taking photos for my new web site, I posted them here where they were ripped to shreds - which is what I was aiming for -
Is there a word for that? Something that hurts and feels good at the same time? If not, I will call it the Tabasco effect!

It's so true. No fun at all to have your work ripped to shreds, but when you come out the other end, it was worth it because the input really is both very valuable and unattainable anywhere else (assuming the PAII forums are still like they used to be).
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:

I think the term is no pain no gain. But Tabasco effect is pretty good too. NOT!
shades_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
Morticia said:
I love your garden shots, the green green of home. Love them!

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
I love the colors. Don't let anyone's "opinion" deter what you do or what you have. I just want more! Show me more more more! :) (and I sure hope I did not come across as rudely as that, I never meant it at all, only the boast about what a great place you have, I picked up on your personality and the feel of your place from your posts here...but I know that does not convey on your website...yet.
I want to see the view you mention, and describe on the room info as I know it is magnificent! When the weather clears you can go to town getting photos. I can't wait to see them 2cat_lady!
No need to hide garage doors or anything like that, just EMPHASIZE the great things you have there, the view being paramount. I know you see it every day so you may not grasp the greatness as someone, say this person typing this who lives in the mountains and longs for the sea...
thumbs_up.gif

You will have fun getting great photos and playing with them and sharing them. I know you had those early guests who found you to be the best kept secret, but kept secrets don't pay the bills, so good on ya for getting control over your site soon. If you want a second set of eyes on anything, let me know. From the outside looking in so to speak...
BRING ON THE TAIL OF THE WHALE!
Duly noted and not offended in the least. I have very strong, broad shoulders. A prerequisite for anyone taking on this career. I like 'constructive' criticism, not personal preferences. To each his own. But I'm definitely going to go crazy with the photography. I have enlisted the help of a close friend who took a few photography courses to come over and give me a fresh set of eyes. It's going to cost me a good meal, a bottle of wine or two and something special for dessert. Plus, I've gotten into the habit of bringing my camera with me even when I get some groceries. Lots of off the cuff nature shots are to be had even in this weather. I've even gone the way of the inner circle and started a blog. I've actually written five posts so far, and five subscribers! Having fun with my photos with that. But definitely, JB, you will be one of the first to know when I've spiced up my site. Then you can pick away, right to the bone!
wink_smile.gif

We started with one on the beginning. We just include the taxes in the rate.

Back