Took the plunge on Air

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?.
2cat_lady said:
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?
have you asked the experts?
I am sure they, er we, can come up with the reason it is booked last. If you give us a link maybe we can guess which one it is and why? Like why WE WOULD CHOOSE it last?
Would love the family's input! The room that's always the last is Golden Bay.
https://v2.reservationkey.com/3566/reserve
OK, honest impression on photos:
Hate the garage doors in outside photos for many reasons. Try a shot hiding them.
All rooms look same, headboard, 2 white lamps, etc. Like a commodity. At least use diff lampshades.
Detest most of the paint colors, dull and uninviting. Paint is the cheap way to wow. And consider crown moulding partway up with diff look above and below. and tasteful art. Try and watch some hotel impossible episodes for stunning ideas.
Overall, wanted to yawn. Dazzle me instead so I want to book.
I agree, I do need to do some different photos. That is on the agenda once I have full control of the website.
As far as decor--to each his own.
I'm not a 'country' inn. This is Newfoundland. Our 'country' is the traditional salt box house which for the most part, is cramped and cluttered. I offer guests an alternative. Uncluttered and clean. More than once my guests have said that I don't feel like a 'bed and breakfast' because I don't have a million knick knacks cluttering up every horizontal space.
As far as the paint colours, well I used to work for Benjamin Moore. The colours are are very pleasing to the eye and very relaxing. I actually keep extra paint chips in my kitchen because my guests keep 'borrowing' mine so that they can remember the paint colour for their own home. I've had designers stay with me that have been able to guess some of the colours because they are designer classics and they use them on their projects.
The garage doors-- well they are what they are. I don't have any trees to hide behind. Just the ocean in front and the back. I know. Boring stuff. Maybe that's why people are so happy that when they arrive they get exactly what they see on my pictures. One of the best views of the Avalon. Not a picture that was photoshopped with a field of flowers in front only to discover that the photographer had to get on their belly to block out the neighbours.
I think I'll stay with my 'boring' decor but I will spice up the site with new pictures in the coming months. I must be doing something right though, I'm already at the halfway mark of my reservations for all of last year and I'm only int the beginning of March.
2cat_lady said:
I agree, I do need to do some different photos. That is on the agenda once I have full control of the website.
I'm not a 'country' inn. This is Newfoundland. Our 'country' is the traditional salt box house which for the most part, is cramped and cluttered. I offer guests an alternative. Uncluttered and clean. More than once my guests have said that I don't feel like a 'bed and breakfast' because I don't have a million knick knacks cluttering up every horizontal space.
As far as the paint colours, well I used to work for Benjamin Moore. The colours are are very pleasing to the eye and very relaxing. I actually keep extra paint chips in my kitchen because my guests keep 'borrowing' mine so that they can remember the paint colour for their own home. I've had designers stay with me that have been able to guess some of the colours because they are designer classics and they use them on their projects.
The garage doors-- well they are what they are. I don't have any trees to hide behind. Just the ocean in front and the back. I know. Boring stuff. Maybe that's why people are so happy that when they arrive they get exactly what they see on my pictures. One of the best views of the Avalon. Not a picture that was photoshopped with a field of flowers in front only to discover that the photographer had to get on their belly to block out the neighbours.
I think I'll stay with my 'boring' decor but I will spice up the site with new pictures in the coming months. I must be doing something right though, I'm already at the halfway mark of my reservations for all of last year and I'm only int the beginning of March.
I love the colors. Don't let anyone's "opinion" deter what you do or what you have. I just want more! Show me more more more! :) (and I sure hope I did not come across as rudely as that, I never meant it at all, only the boast about what a great place you have, I picked up on your personality and the feel of your place from your posts here...but I know that does not convey on your website...yet.
I want to see the view you mention, and describe on the room info as I know it is magnificent! When the weather clears you can go to town getting photos. I can't wait to see them 2cat_lady!
No need to hide garage doors or anything like that, just EMPHASIZE the great things you have there, the view being paramount. I know you see it every day so you may not grasp the greatness as someone, say this person typing this who lives in the mountains and longs for the sea...
thumbs_up.gif

You will have fun getting great photos and playing with them and sharing them. I know you had those early guests who found you to be the best kept secret, but kept secrets don't pay the bills, so good on ya for getting control over your site soon. If you want a second set of eyes on anything, let me know. From the outside looking in so to speak...
BRING ON THE TAIL OF THE WHALE!
I don't apologize for having an opinion nor do I tiptoe around; but I think Morticia hit the nail on the hand. Needs lighting. I didn't think of that at first, but the pictures were not what I expect when I see great B&B photos. They just looked dull, and the lighting might have been the problem.
And yes, the garage doors should not be featured in the main picture. I have seen many B&B feature pix, and never like that. A B&B should differ from a house. The garage door(s) drag it toward dwelling rather than towards escape/romantic getaway/etc.

I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?.
2cat_lady said:
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?
I am sure they, er we, can come up with the reason it is booked last. If you give us a link maybe we can guess which one it is and why? Like why WE WOULD CHOOSE it last?
Hate the garage doors in outside photos for many reasons. Try a shot hiding them.
All rooms look same, headboard, 2 white lamps, etc. Like a commodity. At least use diff lampshades.
Detest most of the paint colors, dull and uninviting. Paint is the cheap way to wow. And consider crown moulding partway up with diff look above and below. and tasteful art. Try and watch some hotel impossible episodes for stunning ideas.
2cat_lady said:
I love the colors. Don't let anyone's "opinion" deter what you do or what you have. I just want more! Show me more more more! :) (and I sure hope I did not come across as rudely as that, I never meant it at all, only the boast about what a great place you have, I picked up on your personality and the feel of your place from your posts here...but I know that does not convey on your website...yet.
I want to see the view you mention, and describe on the room info as I know it is magnificent! When the weather clears you can go to town getting photos. I can't wait to see them 2cat_lady!
No need to hide garage doors or anything like that, just EMPHASIZE the great things you have there, the view being paramount. I know you see it every day so you may not grasp the greatness as someone, say this person typing this who lives in the mountains and longs for the sea...
thumbs_up.gif

You will have fun getting great photos and playing with them and sharing them. I know you had those early guests who found you to be the best kept secret, but kept secrets don't pay the bills, so good on ya for getting control over your site soon. If you want a second set of eyes on anything, let me know. From the outside looking in so to speak...
Duly noted and not offended in the least. I have very strong, broad shoulders. A prerequisite for anyone taking on this career. I like 'constructive' criticism, not personal preferences. To each his own. But I'm definitely going to go crazy with the photography. I have enlisted the help of a close friend who took a few photography courses to come over and give me a fresh set of eyes. It's going to cost me a good meal, a bottle of wine or two and something special for dessert. Plus, I've gotten into the habit of bringing my camera with me even when I get some groceries. Lots of off the cuff nature shots are to be had even in this weather. I've even gone the way of the inner circle and started a blog. I've actually written five posts so far, and five subscribers! Having fun with my photos with that. But definitely, JB, you will be one of the first to know when I've spiced up my site. Then you can pick away, right to the bone!
wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
But I'm definitely going to go crazy with the photography. I have enlisted the help of a close friend who took a few photography courses to come over and give me a fresh set of eyes. It's going to cost me a good meal, a bottle of wine or two and something special for dessert. Plus, I've gotten into the habit of bringing my camera with me even when I get some groceries. Lots of off the cuff nature shots are to be had even in this weather.
Sounds good! I don't know what kind of camera you all will be using but the wider the lens, the better the "feel" of the whole room you will get. (14-18mm) Have fun!
Great idea about taking a camera around with you! Just be careful about hot weather, keep camera in cool area (never leave a camera sitting in a car in summer!) since the humility will destroy it. My photography teacher always said, "Two things a camera can never do, float or bounce. Heat, water, and falls are the cameras worst enemies."

2cat_lady said:
Just as an aside, I think one ought to have a hyperlink somewhere on their reservation page that takes one (back) to their website...

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

Duly noted and not offended in the least. I have very strong, broad shoulders. A prerequisite for anyone taking on this career. I like 'constructive' criticism, not personal preferences. To each his own. But I'm definitely going to go crazy with the photography. I have enlisted the help of a close friend who took a few photography courses to come over and give me a fresh set of eyes. It's going to cost me a good meal, a bottle of wine or two and something special for dessert. Plus, I've gotten into the habit of bringing my camera with me even when I get some groceries. Lots of off the cuff nature shots are to be had even in this weather. I've even gone the way of the inner circle and started a blog. I've actually written five posts so far, and five subscribers! Having fun with my photos with that. But definitely, JB, you will be one of the first to know when I've spiced up my site. Then you can pick away, right to the bone!
wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
But I'm definitely going to go crazy with the photography. I have enlisted the help of a close friend who took a few photography courses to come over and give me a fresh set of eyes. It's going to cost me a good meal, a bottle of wine or two and something special for dessert. Plus, I've gotten into the habit of bringing my camera with me even when I get some groceries. Lots of off the cuff nature shots are to be had even in this weather.
Sounds good! I don't know what kind of camera you all will be using but the wider the lens, the better the "feel" of the whole room you will get. (14-18mm) Have fun!
Great idea about taking a camera around with you! Just be careful about hot weather, keep camera in cool area (never leave a camera sitting in a car in summer!) since the humility will destroy it. My photography teacher always said, "Two things a camera can never do, float or bounce. Heat, water, and falls are the cameras worst enemies."
Duff2014 said:
My photography teacher always said, "Two things a camera can never do, float or bounce. Heat, water, and falls are the cameras worst enemies."
He/she obv never owned a Nikon.
shades_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
Duff2014 said:
My photography teacher always said, "Two things a camera can never do, float or bounce. Heat, water, and falls are the cameras worst enemies."
shades_smile.gif

One of Himself's best friends was a Press photog and his favorite camera was a Nikon because it was very much like a Timex. When he died, his family gave his Nikon to Himself who was just s easy on it as Larry was - NOT. That was and is a great camera. We actually have 3 of them and several lenses - but film is history. THAT one I knew how to change settings - wish I did on the current one.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
Duff2014 said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Duff2014 said:
shades_smile.gif
Right! He owned Canon cameras, worked for Canon and National Geographic magazine. Then in retirement taught photography at college. I own Canons too!
"Nikon is like a SUV while Canon is like a sports car....take your pick. They both do their job well!"

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
Duff2014 said:
shades_smile.gif

One of Himself's best friends was a Press photog and his favorite camera was a Nikon because it was very much like a Timex. When he died, his family gave his Nikon to Himself who was just s easy on it as Larry was - NOT. That was and is a great camera. We actually have 3 of them and several lenses - but film is history. THAT one I knew how to change settings - wish I did on the current one.
I would be glad to teach you!! I have worked with Nikons too.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
Duff2014 said:
shades_smile.gif

I knew how to play with the Nikons we had - they are dinosaurs now, no film. I now have a Sony that does go manual but have not taken the time to play with it on manual. THAT is my problem. I need to sit down and figure out how to set it on different speeds and settings. So much easier to point & shoot. And I will not even be wasting film on THIS learning curve. When I really need the manual settings is to photo Himself's paintings and in the low light of the log house.

2cat_lady said:
I'm a couple of notches below novice here, but the only reasons I can think that that room is last to be booked is with the first impression, the display picture is different, which could distinguish the room from the others, possibly in a negativery way. Also I would prefer he darker colored rooms much more than the golden color. The lighter colored paint almost makes the room look bare, more like a business hotel, especially in the picture of the closet, the color of the wall looks like unfinished wood. I think it's the way the lighter color of the walls contrast with the black accents and white trim, even though it's a combination that works beautifully in the other rooms.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

wink_smile.gif

2cat_lady said:
Duff2014 said:
shades_smile.gif

I knew how to play with the Nikons we had - they are dinosaurs now, no film. I now have a Sony that does go manual but have not taken the time to play with it on manual. THAT is my problem. I need to sit down and figure out how to set it on different speeds and settings. So much easier to point & shoot. And I will not even be wasting film on THIS learning curve. When I really need the manual settings is to photo Himself's paintings and in the low light of the log house.
Ok. I hope you get the time to do it!

Back