"We love your website!"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why the machine will answer, and will quickly call back those who I want. All others get deleted. (There will be a couple options first for self serve, like direx/address, booking online represents a discount, etc.
Phone calls can be a pain, it never rings till I sit down to eat or during the last few minutes of a favorite TV show and I miss the ending, yet my strange view is that people and their questions are the reason that I'm here, take away that personal contact and I'm just the maid or janitor and the business wouldn't be much fun to me.
I feel like folks stay with me to get away from automated phone systems, self serve and big companies that lack personal contact, I believe I would lose if I tried to follow that path.
Just my view, each to his or her own.
I totally agree with you Jim. Our phone calls for reservations have increased over the last couple of years since smart phones. Years ago we were the first b&b in our state to have online reservations. It was fabulous and the phone calls were dramatically reduced. It went that way for years. About 3 years ago the calls started increasing again. My personal opinion is that with the increase of the mobile devices, it's so easy to just hit the 'call' button. I do use the ploy that I'm not in my office right now, and I'm happy to answer any and all questions, but would they be able to make their reservation online so that their room gets taken off our inventory immediately? I still want that online reservation where they have to click that they agree to our policies. 99% of the time they make their reservation online, but I've been a warm friendly voice to make them feel we welcome them.
That is generally what I had in mind, although the exact implementation not worked out:
o I do not want to spend time wrangling with robocalls, charity calls, nonguests wanting recommendations, very late night room seekers
o I do want the message to encourage them to book online
o I do want a couple options if they are just seeking directions, website, etc.
o The question is, if they still want to talk to someone, should it go to voicemail with assurance we call them right back, or should it ring to a phone (but we may/may not be available or not want to talk)...
I do not want to spend much time taking phone bookings when I am in the middle of a movie or shopping without access to computer, etc...
undersea said:
I do not want to spend much time taking phone bookings when I am in the middle of a movie or shopping without access to computer, etc...
It depends on your market. If you are the ne plus ultra in your area, guests will await your return call. If you're just starting out you really should plan to answer every call. You should write out your spiel so you can refer to it for the first few months.
I don't answer the phone after 9pm. I don't answer during breakfast when I'm talking with guests. Our message says to look online for more info and to reserve online to be sure you get the room you want. That does not stop the person who needs to talk to someone NOW from calling back 3-4 times within 5 minutes.
You have to turn the phone off to get any peace. I unplug it altogether some nights so I can sleep.
We don't forward the phone unless we're on vacation. Then again, momma smurf is running 95% occ and I am not. So, figure out whether you want your time to be your own or if you want heads in beds. (We've never hit 90% occ, I don't want to work that hard! The more guests, the crankier I get. So plan your tactics accordingly.)
Momma & Poppa need to pay this crazy mortgage we got locked into in 2005, and now can't refinance! We also want to be able to spend more money when we go out to visit the kids in Berkeley in November. AND we are on the 3-5 year plan to sell, so need to keep the biz pumping.
But, we don't answer the phone either during breakfast or after 9:30 PM. Rolls to my cell and says to go to our website, cause everything you could possibly want to know is there, that is if you can Read!
wink_smile.gif

Oh right, the mortgage! ;-)
I'm planning on picking up the tempo next year in line with prepping to sell.
We're planning a 2 week jaunt to Utah in the spring. Looking forward to that.

AGREED!
The B&B industry was built around the personal touch. Being that friendly voice on the other end of a call may be the final check to getting a booking. People also like knowing that they are talking to the one that will be greeting them when they arrive.
We have the online booking available for those that prefer, and I too would prefer they book that way (policy read) but hospitality starts before they enter your B&B.
y business phone travels with me. All my friends understand that when it rings, that means business and I must take the call. I go very few places where I can't answer but it does happen from time to time. I do not answer after 9pm - as many have said, nothing good ever comes from that.
I will even answer during breakfast, unless my hands are full or something is in dire need of my attention. With calls that interrupt me, I ask if I may return the call. I'd rather do that then them getting my voice message. Most will not leave a message and I am wondering if it was a missed opportunity..
Copperhead said:
Most will not leave a message and I am wondering if it was a missed opportunity.
No, it was a missed telemarketer.

That is why the machine will answer, and will quickly call back those who I want. All others get deleted. (There will be a couple options first for self serve, like direx/address, booking online represents a discount, etc.
Phone calls can be a pain, it never rings till I sit down to eat or during the last few minutes of a favorite TV show and I miss the ending, yet my strange view is that people and their questions are the reason that I'm here, take away that personal contact and I'm just the maid or janitor and the business wouldn't be much fun to me.
I feel like folks stay with me to get away from automated phone systems, self serve and big companies that lack personal contact, I believe I would lose if I tried to follow that path.
I totally agree with you Jim. Our phone calls for reservations have increased over the last couple of years since smart phones. Years ago we were the first b&b in our state to have online reservations. It was fabulous and the phone calls were dramatically reduced. It went that way for years. About 3 years ago the calls started increasing again. My personal opinion is that with the increase of the mobile devices, it's so easy to just hit the 'call' button. I do use the ploy that I'm not in my office right now, and I'm happy to answer any and all questions, but would they be able to make their reservation online so that their room gets taken off our inventory immediately? I still want that online reservation where they have to click that they agree to our policies. 99% of the time they make their reservation online, but I've been a warm friendly voice to make them feel we welcome them.
That is generally what I had in mind, although the exact implementation not worked out:
o I do not want to spend time wrangling with robocalls, charity calls, nonguests wanting recommendations, very late night room seekers
o The question is, if they still want to talk to someone, should it go to voicemail with assurance we call them right back, or should it ring to a phone (but we may/may not be available or not want to talk)...
My apology, I don't want to appear negative, but initially getting enough calls and bookings would concern me more than getting too many calls.
When we jumped into this business (early December 1991) I think we rented a total of 5 rooms before Christmas, our first March we rented 11 rooms all month, enough to pay about half the February power bill. I answered all calls, even those during the wee hours just trying to keep the doors open.
Yes, today after 20 plus years, I've become picky (got old and tired over those years too), as with others we go to bed around 9 and don't answer the phone during the night. We're often out cleaning rooms and working around the place so yes an answering machine does catch some calls. I usually tell folks the best time to catch us near the phone is early evening.
Over time we've learned (hopefully), when to expect most calls or drop in guests, our "play time" centers around those times when we don't expect to be getting calls or customers. If we're away and would expect to get calls, then they get transferred to our cell, other times on a quiet mid-week morning the machine may get the call if we get any.
Much will depend on you and your location when you take the leap.

My apology, I don't want to appear negative, but initially getting enough calls and bookings would concern me more than getting too many calls.
When we jumped into this business (early December 1991) I think we rented a total of 5 rooms before Christmas, our first March we rented 11 rooms all month, enough to pay about half the February power bill. I answered all calls, even those during the wee hours just trying to keep the doors open.
Yes, today after 20 plus years, I've become picky (got old and tired over those years too), as with others we go to bed around 9 and don't answer the phone during the night. We're often out cleaning rooms and working around the place so yes an answering machine does catch some calls. I usually tell folks the best time to catch us near the phone is early evening.
Over time we've learned (hopefully), when to expect most calls or drop in guests, our "play time" centers around those times when we don't expect to be getting calls or customers. If we're away and would expect to get calls, then they get transferred to our cell, other times on a quiet mid-week morning the machine may get the call if we get any.
JimBoone said:
When we first opened (1996) I was over the moon if we had 4 to 6 room nights a month - it was wonderful. Now I cringe if that is all we have (except in winter, then I expect nothing and am pleased with something).

I work during the week and wife will be mostly on her own, so I am willing to lose some. I could pay the place without needing the income, although I do seek that. I am doing this less for the money and more for the soul satisfaction.
Used to have a roofing company, and although less calls than a B&B, they always had a way of ruining the few good things I liked to do - church, movie, shower, friends, whatever. I always thought I had to answer every call, but that was before the pervasiveness of the online world now.
I can live with perhaps 30% less bookings. The other hand, with some of the aggravation some here experience with robocallers, hangups, freebie assistance seekers, etc. - I want to focus on a streamlined, informative process that I think is the future direction anyway.
Perhaps one way, is to have a separate number for regulars that the world will not have.
I am also toying with the concept of having an answering service during key hours for those who get through the several helpful options and still want to dialogue.

I used to get really upset when someone would keep me on the phone, repeatedly, and not stay with me. "You sound so nice," they'd say. "Then why aren't you coming to stay with me?" I learned to say. "Oh, we already have reservations at xyz, or xyz is cheaper, or we're thinking about staying with you next time." (next time did not happen although more phone calls asking for more sightseeing advice came in from the same number)
I started making my own phone ring so I could somewhat gracefully get off the phone. Remember that?
That was the year I dumped the toll free number ... boom, down went the phone calls. I got a toll free number because the other places in the area had one. Suddenly, on the caller's dime, they didn't call asking about the area any more. Now with cell phones that can call everywhere in their phone plan I imagine it makes no difference ... that was in the 'before time' ... so long ago!!

AGREED!
The B&B industry was built around the personal touch. Being that friendly voice on the other end of a call may be the final check to getting a booking. People also like knowing that they are talking to the one that will be greeting them when they arrive.
We have the online booking available for those that prefer, and I too would prefer they book that way (policy read) but hospitality starts before they enter your B&B.
y business phone travels with me. All my friends understand that when it rings, that means business and I must take the call. I go very few places where I can't answer but it does happen from time to time. I do not answer after 9pm - as many have said, nothing good ever comes from that.
I will even answer during breakfast, unless my hands are full or something is in dire need of my attention. With calls that interrupt me, I ask if I may return the call. I'd rather do that then them getting my voice message. Most will not leave a message and I am wondering if it was a missed opportunity..
"I will even answer during breakfast, unless my hands are full or something is in dire need of my attention."
Yep, here too. Seems breakfast and inquiry calls frequently come at the same time! I keep my ipad in the kitchen so I can enter new rezs into ResKey/and/or Air right away to avoid any double booking.

I used to get really upset when someone would keep me on the phone, repeatedly, and not stay with me. "You sound so nice," they'd say. "Then why aren't you coming to stay with me?" I learned to say. "Oh, we already have reservations at xyz, or xyz is cheaper, or we're thinking about staying with you next time." (next time did not happen although more phone calls asking for more sightseeing advice came in from the same number)
I started making my own phone ring so I could somewhat gracefully get off the phone. Remember that?
That was the year I dumped the toll free number ... boom, down went the phone calls. I got a toll free number because the other places in the area had one. Suddenly, on the caller's dime, they didn't call asking about the area any more. Now with cell phones that can call everywhere in their phone plan I imagine it makes no difference ... that was in the 'before time' ... so long ago!!.
I own a true 800# (not 888 or similar). But they are almost useless these days as there are no charges for cellphone users in the States. Cannot remember the last time I intentionally called the toll free number rather than their standard number to save money.
But I have no time for people wanting free advice. I do not subscribe to the idea that if I waste 45 minutes of my time without that they might stay with me in the future.
Used to try and hand out business cards to individuals with an earlier venture. Complete waste of time - no one ever called from one of them. If you want to hand out cards, connect with churches, other businesses, card exchange, etc.

What makes you think prospective guests who call will leave a message? They want to talk to you. That is why they didn't book through your website in the first place.
We don't answer the phone at this time of year because we are no longer taking reservations for 2015. But believe me that when January arrives, with calls for the 2016 season, we will answer every single call that has a personal ID.
I ignored an "Unkown" ID call this morning. I felt a little funny doing it, because one of our best reservations last month came from an 'Unknown' ID.
But is was one in one hundred.

Years ago I learned how to hang up on someone. You break the connection while YOU are in mid-sentence because of course nobody would ever hang up on themself..
Arks said:
Years ago I learned how to hang up on someone. You break the connection while YOU are in mid-sentence because of course nobody would ever hang up on themself.
brilliant

What makes you think prospective guests who call will leave a message? They want to talk to you. That is why they didn't book through your website in the first place.
We don't answer the phone at this time of year because we are no longer taking reservations for 2015. But believe me that when January arrives, with calls for the 2016 season, we will answer every single call that has a personal ID.
I ignored an "Unkown" ID call this morning. I felt a little funny doing it, because one of our best reservations last month came from an 'Unknown' ID.
I figure that anyone with an unknown ID knows by now that some people do not pick up because of their caller ID. If they want a reservation they will leave a message or send an e-mail. Every time I relent and pick up an unknown ID I am sorry about it because 9 times out of 10 it is a spam call.

I figure that anyone with an unknown ID knows by now that some people do not pick up because of their caller ID. If they want a reservation they will leave a message or send an e-mail. Every time I relent and pick up an unknown ID I am sorry about it because 9 times out of 10 it is a spam call.
I imagine it is possible that some people do not want their identity known, such as those who have an order of protection against an aggressor (spouse, etc.). But as you said, they can leave a message.

I imagine it is possible that some people do not want their identity known, such as those who have an order of protection against an aggressor (spouse, etc.). But as you said, they can leave a message.
undersea said:
Or calling from a work number that doesnt show.

I've gotten several calls from people who get a lot of information from our website/blog/newsletter. I don't mind talking to them (usually) and giving them information about the town. I might be their first impression of the people of this town, so I don't want to be the guy that turns them away with a bad attitude. I may not get their business, but someone else in town may, which in the long run will help our business stay in business.
And we are phasing out the 800 number. We have taken it off every piece of advertising we have. After a year or so, we'll dump it.

I think this is a compliment. if you don't want to share anything then hide it all, but i think you do a disservice to yourself and the area if you do this.

I've gotten several calls from people who get a lot of information from our website/blog/newsletter. I don't mind talking to them (usually) and giving them information about the town. I might be their first impression of the people of this town, so I don't want to be the guy that turns them away with a bad attitude. I may not get their business, but someone else in town may, which in the long run will help our business stay in business.
And we are phasing out the 800 number. We have taken it off every piece of advertising we have. After a year or so, we'll dump it..
Or what one of the B&B coaches recommendes is write a guide to "your town" best places to see, eat etc and do it as a subscribe to our mailing list to receive it - is a 241 as people subscribe to get it and then are sold on the area by it.

And we are phasing out the 800 number. We have taken it off every piece of advertising we have. After a year or so, we'll dump it..
Or what one of the B&B coaches recommendes is write a guide to "your town" best places to see, eat etc and do it as a subscribe to our mailing list to receive it - is a 241 as people subscribe to get it and then are sold on the area by it.
Your B&B coach obviously didn't think of a city of 3.8 million people with more restaurants than I can count!
It is an interesting idea for a smaller town, though.

Your B&B coach obviously didn't think of a city of 3.8 million people with more restaurants than I can count!
Charlie said:
Then do your neighborhood. Every big city is divided into neighborhoods the size of biggish town. Something in walking distance.
I'd have it be a link to a page that is hidden without knowing the password. Then you update it when it changes and you don't end up with grumps who have something printed that's no longer valid in 6 months.

Charlie said:
Then do your neighborhood. Every big city is divided into neighborhoods the size of biggish town. Something in walking distance.
I'd have it be a link to a page that is hidden without knowing the password. Then you update it when it changes and you don't end up with grumps who have something printed that's no longer valid in 6 months.
Morticia said:
Charlie said:
I would have it showing a page with the enter password here to see the wonderful attractions, etc. Then change the password regularly, once a year, etc. Keep people attuned to you.

Back