Need advice...bed wetter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without being too specific, why are they there anyway? Just wondering. If a kid is a bed wetter you typically do not have him away from home if you can help it or put pull-ups on him and noone needs to be the wiser.
We have had kids sleep here visiting who peed all over the place and I won't invite them back again. I never said anything to them or the parent. But it sure was a lot of laundry and work to get rid of the stench.

I know that in the UK the guests would automatically be paying for a new mattress. I would be asking for that also. In fact I would be moving them on - I would not keep them as guests at all. I think you should have immediately talked with the family the first night it happened. By allowing it to go on you have given your consent for it to happen. You need to take some kind of action immediately in my opinion..
I did speak with the mother the first morning. I was stunned she didn't even mention it to us. She said he 'ocassionally has problems with that'. Today, when I approached her again, she told me she didn't know it was still going on. Please. She's sleeping in the same room. She's not even checking.
I have the guy who makes our mattresses faxing me a bill. I'll give that to her when she comes back tonight.
I told her she should get him the 'pull ups' so he's not being embarassed by this. HE won't even talk to us anymore.
this is a serious issue. and it is not just confined to children .... i remember celebrities on a talk show one day discussing their own bedwetting problem that still occurred with stress as an adult.
we have had incontinent adults stay here ... you can't screen for them ... all you can do is have a policy about laundering ... most wear the depends and other items. as soon as these are spotted in the trash, i police their room trash a few times a day to get them out quickly.
i have rubber sheeting that i put on the bed in between the supposedly waterproof mattress pads and the mattresses. the mattress pads are designed for spillage, not soaking .... and a true bed wetter will usually sleep right through the wetting ... that is part of the problem.
one elderly gentleman reeked of urine at checkin, and i cringed when he went to sit down anywhere. when he went out to supper, i put a rubber sheet on the stuffed chair in his room, covered it with a quilt so that i could launder those.
mom is not monitoring this bedwetting ... child is too embarassed to discuss it ... she is likely embarrassed about it as well ... and you are having a major laundry and cleaning crisis.
i wonder if it is aggravated by him being away from home ... perhaps he does not have much of an issue in his own bed? if this is the case, she may not believe you or think you are exaggerating. and if he is unsupervised at nite, she won't be able to restrict his liquid intake in the evening.
have you had any opportunity to show her the bed linens so she can see how much wetting is happening?
biggest question ... do they check out soon??
She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. He, however, is making the bed, so I know he is embarassed. BUT, that is leading to the quilt now being sopping wet as well as the pillows.
Yes, those mattress pads DO absorb a lot of liquid, but not a full scale onslaught from a sleeping child. And the thick ones I use have worked for all these years.
And, like I said, the boy is not even talking to us anymore. He would at least say hello in the mornings. I'm chalking that up to embarassment altho we haven't even seen his sister except outside. (Not sure how she is getting in and out without us seeing her!)
Hubs has to handle the billing situation. HE is diplomatic. I have already told her the bed has to be replaced, that this is not like someone's house. I explained the Board of Health stuff to her. She walked out the door saying her son must be very embarassed by all of this and she wished I had told her what was going on. WHAT?
I guess I was supposed to lie in wait for her when she came back everyday to fill her in on her son's problem. 3 days more, not a moment too soon. I am beyond stressed now. Today I stripped the bed and remade it with the bottom sheet and a top sheet. No blankets, no quilt, the rest had to be washed. The thick mattress pad is gone because I'm not washing it again.
We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.
Bree said:
She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. ...........We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.
Including Absent MInded! Some people should not reproduce. When DH sees children behaving badly and not being attended to, he says 'There's more of those orphan children!'
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. ...........We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.
Including Absent MInded! Some people should not reproduce. When DH sees children behaving badly and not being attended to, he says 'There's more of those orphan children!'
Quite frankly, other than one late-night yelling, running fest they had that I squashed immediately, the kids have been very polite. Altho, now we don't see them anymore. If it wasn't for the wet bed, I wouldn't even know they're here.

Without being too specific, why are they there anyway? Just wondering. If a kid is a bed wetter you typically do not have him away from home if you can help it or put pull-ups on him and noone needs to be the wiser.
We have had kids sleep here visiting who peed all over the place and I won't invite them back again. I never said anything to them or the parent. But it sure was a lot of laundry and work to get rid of the stench..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
We have had kids sleep here visiting who peed all over the place and I won't invite them back again. I never said anything to them or the parent. But it sure was a lot of laundry and work to get rid of the stench.
Vacation. Simply vacation. And all the windows are open in that room, rain or no. I open them when I walk in.

Hey folks...not wanting this to turn into an argument on who is or is not allowed in my B&B...just want to know how to handle the bed wetting situation that is now present..
I don't know what else you can do without confronting the mother; I think for me a week of running to the laundromat would force me to say something. Plus the ruining of the mattress - you now have me convinced to go buy waterproof covers for all the beds (I have a few up there already) but since I just spent several thousand on four new mattresses I would like to be safe. I don't take real young kids here, but I have had 11-year-olds in the past and would be surprised at the bed-wetting.
I feel for you, and it's a bad week to have it happen with no washer. Hugs to you...
Then there's always the weird possibility of the drunk adult guest who pees the bed (happened to a friend of mine) or an elderly person who has an issue of some kind.

I tell ya, this just justifies our policy of not accepting children..
But you forget, some inns, as in Bree and Seashanty have no choice in the matter. They HAVE no choice under their State law they cannot refuse children.
I take kids and so far, so good, have never had a problem - and I hope it stays that way.
If you tell the guest who's calling that you don't accept children, they will just call somewhere else.
You think they are they are thinking of a state law? They just want to go on vacation!
I am sorry to have to correct you on this. It has been documented that there was a team of lawyers "working" the B & Bs in several States for being turned down on illegal things as in CHILDREN. They would file a lawsuit against the B & B that would be dropped with a "settlement".
IF Bree or SeaShanty were foolish enough to refuse to accept children, they would be served with lawsuit papers before they could hang up the phone!
You were a cop, you should know that whatever laws are passed are the laws that are to be enforced at all times. Not just the ones that fit what WE want when we want. If the law in your State said a bed & breakfast of your size could not refuse children, no matter what your preference was, you could not refuse to take them.
Gillum -- "Served with papers, before they hung up the phone".
A little dramatic, don't you think?
If you had really thought about it, you would think of the innkeepers, and aspirings who have Queen Sized beds in their rooms.
All the couples who called us and wanted to book rooms with children did not want their child in their bed with them, nor did they want to book a separate room.
I think you're forgetting Fire Codes. remember them? you cannot have a cot blocking egress.
Do you have B&B insurance? Maybe not. The insurance company wants to know how many rooms you are insuring, how many guests to each room, they send out a rep to see the rooms.
A Fire Inspector will visit your b&b.
An innkeeper cannot make false statements to the insurance company.

Hey folks...not wanting this to turn into an argument on who is or is not allowed in my B&B...just want to know how to handle the bed wetting situation that is now present..
I don't know what else you can do without confronting the mother; I think for me a week of running to the laundromat would force me to say something. Plus the ruining of the mattress - you now have me convinced to go buy waterproof covers for all the beds (I have a few up there already) but since I just spent several thousand on four new mattresses I would like to be safe. I don't take real young kids here, but I have had 11-year-olds in the past and would be surprised at the bed-wetting.
I feel for you, and it's a bad week to have it happen with no washer. Hugs to you...
Then there's always the weird possibility of the drunk adult guest who pees the bed (happened to a friend of mine) or an elderly person who has an issue of some kind.
Hey all you aspirings!
Wait until you get the one who comes down for breakfast and says, "I'm afraid I soiled your linens...We'll need our sheets changed"
You'll be thinkin' "oh, some make-up or something", come to find out they're on Alli or some other drug that causes "anal leakage" and YOU get to clean it up! For crying out loud! Why would you leave the house and if you did, why wouldn't you bring your depends!???? BARRRFFFFF!
That was a fun morning!
omg_smile.gif
And yes, they are on the do not book list!

Hi Bree -- An odor neutralizer works wonders.
I don't know, but for the future, when the parents book, ask them tactfully if there is anything you should know? They must have known that one of their children was a bedwetter.
For the future, STATE in your policy that any damages to the room will be the responsiblility of the guest.
I know this doesn't help you now.

I don't know, but for the future, when the parents book, ask them tactfully if there is anything you should know? They must have known that one of their children was a bedwetter.
For the future, STATE in your policy that any damages to the room will be the responsiblility of the guest.
trishany said:
Oh no, it does help...mother signed the registration form which clearly states guests held responsible for damages to room.

trishany said:
Oh no, it does help...mother signed the registration form which clearly states guests held responsible for damages to room.
That's a good thing.
I know you don't want to charge them, but if your mattress is ruined -- that's ALOT of money.
The mom must have known the child was a bedwetter. I don't think a child, all of a sudden, wets the bed.
Okay -I know it's a very sticky situation. But I would "discuss" it with the parents. I think if it's done nicely, they will agree to your damages. Maybe you can get them to sign something? anything stating that their child wet and damaged you mattress?

I tell ya, this just justifies our policy of not accepting children..
But you forget, some inns, as in Bree and Seashanty have no choice in the matter. They HAVE no choice under their State law they cannot refuse children.
I take kids and so far, so good, have never had a problem - and I hope it stays that way.
If you tell the guest who's calling that you don't accept children, they will just call somewhere else.
You think they are they are thinking of a state law? They just want to go on vacation!
I am sorry to have to correct you on this. It has been documented that there was a team of lawyers "working" the B & Bs in several States for being turned down on illegal things as in CHILDREN. They would file a lawsuit against the B & B that would be dropped with a "settlement".
IF Bree or SeaShanty were foolish enough to refuse to accept children, they would be served with lawsuit papers before they could hang up the phone!
You were a cop, you should know that whatever laws are passed are the laws that are to be enforced at all times. Not just the ones that fit what WE want when we want. If the law in your State said a bed & breakfast of your size could not refuse children, no matter what your preference was, you could not refuse to take them.
Gillum -- "Served with papers, before they hung up the phone".
A little dramatic, don't you think?
If you had really thought about it, you would think of the innkeepers, and aspirings who have Queen Sized beds in their rooms.
All the couples who called us and wanted to book rooms with children did not want their child in their bed with them, nor did they want to book a separate room.
I think you're forgetting Fire Codes. remember them? you cannot have a cot blocking egress.
Do you have B&B insurance? Maybe not. The insurance company wants to know how many rooms you are insuring, how many guests to each room, they send out a rep to see the rooms.
A Fire Inspector will visit your b&b.
An innkeeper cannot make false statements to the insurance company.
I was going to ignore this but I cannot, for the sake of Aspirings.
Number ONE - I have been an innkeeper for over 12 years and teach Aspiring Innkeeper seminars. I do believe I know what I am talking about when I make a post.
Number TWO - you are a NEW innkeeper. You may have an inkling about the rules in your area, but you do not know squat about other States and their rules. For my Aspiring classes I have researched the rules in several States and while getting Legislation passed for the Fire Codes here, researched Fire Codes regarding B & B in MANY States.
Fire Marshals and Insurance Inspections work differently in different States. I do not recall anyone saying anything about lying on an insurance questionaire - something BTW that would be asinine.
IF you had read Bree's posts, you would know she has several rooms that have 2 beds - no one said anything about cots - she wishes the kid was on a cot. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a mattress. She is NOT in your State so operates under different rules than you.
We try to be civil when opinions are expressed. We do not rip each other for differing opinions. We attempt to point out errors with facts for the sake of Aspirings and Newbies. We say what the rules are for us so others know this is how it is HERE. And I would say that EACH and EVERY seasoned (and some of the new innkeepers have done enough research and training BEFORE they opened that they qualify for this statement) innkeeper on this Forum operates LEGALLY, abiding by every law and rule they function under and do NOT cut corners, wink, or in any other way try to slide by anything with the laws OR the insurance company.
Aspitings and Newbies - be aware of the poster when reading threads. Sort things out for yourselves. We will try to help and not mislead. If one of us says something the is incorrect, I guarantee you 3 others will be corrrecting the misinformation - promptly. As it should be..
I have had my say and will say no more.

We have had kids sleep here visiting who peed all over the place and I won't invite them back again. I never said anything to them or the parent. But it sure was a lot of laundry and work to get rid of the stench..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Vacation. Simply vacation. And all the windows are open in that room, rain or no. I open them when I walk in.
What is the update? Have you reached a resolution yet to this problem? Did the mother finally agreee to pay for the damages? I bet you'll be glad when these folks check out ;-)

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
What is the update? Have you reached a resolution yet to this problem? Did the mother finally agreee to pay for the damages? I bet you'll be glad when these folks check out ;-)
bedwetters.jpg

Here we see two innkeepers attempting to get a bed wetting situation under control.

I know that in the UK the guests would automatically be paying for a new mattress. I would be asking for that also. In fact I would be moving them on - I would not keep them as guests at all. I think you should have immediately talked with the family the first night it happened. By allowing it to go on you have given your consent for it to happen. You need to take some kind of action immediately in my opinion..
I did speak with the mother the first morning. I was stunned she didn't even mention it to us. She said he 'ocassionally has problems with that'. Today, when I approached her again, she told me she didn't know it was still going on. Please. She's sleeping in the same room. She's not even checking.
I have the guy who makes our mattresses faxing me a bill. I'll give that to her when she comes back tonight.
I told her she should get him the 'pull ups' so he's not being embarassed by this. HE won't even talk to us anymore.
this is a serious issue. and it is not just confined to children .... i remember celebrities on a talk show one day discussing their own bedwetting problem that still occurred with stress as an adult.
we have had incontinent adults stay here ... you can't screen for them ... all you can do is have a policy about laundering ... most wear the depends and other items. as soon as these are spotted in the trash, i police their room trash a few times a day to get them out quickly.
i have rubber sheeting that i put on the bed in between the supposedly waterproof mattress pads and the mattresses. the mattress pads are designed for spillage, not soaking .... and a true bed wetter will usually sleep right through the wetting ... that is part of the problem.
one elderly gentleman reeked of urine at checkin, and i cringed when he went to sit down anywhere. when he went out to supper, i put a rubber sheet on the stuffed chair in his room, covered it with a quilt so that i could launder those.
mom is not monitoring this bedwetting ... child is too embarassed to discuss it ... she is likely embarrassed about it as well ... and you are having a major laundry and cleaning crisis.
i wonder if it is aggravated by him being away from home ... perhaps he does not have much of an issue in his own bed? if this is the case, she may not believe you or think you are exaggerating. and if he is unsupervised at nite, she won't be able to restrict his liquid intake in the evening.
have you had any opportunity to show her the bed linens so she can see how much wetting is happening?
biggest question ... do they check out soon??
She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. He, however, is making the bed, so I know he is embarassed. BUT, that is leading to the quilt now being sopping wet as well as the pillows.
Yes, those mattress pads DO absorb a lot of liquid, but not a full scale onslaught from a sleeping child. And the thick ones I use have worked for all these years.
And, like I said, the boy is not even talking to us anymore. He would at least say hello in the mornings. I'm chalking that up to embarassment altho we haven't even seen his sister except outside. (Not sure how she is getting in and out without us seeing her!)
Hubs has to handle the billing situation. HE is diplomatic. I have already told her the bed has to be replaced, that this is not like someone's house. I explained the Board of Health stuff to her. She walked out the door saying her son must be very embarassed by all of this and she wished I had told her what was going on. WHAT?
I guess I was supposed to lie in wait for her when she came back everyday to fill her in on her son's problem. 3 days more, not a moment too soon. I am beyond stressed now. Today I stripped the bed and remade it with the bottom sheet and a top sheet. No blankets, no quilt, the rest had to be washed. The thick mattress pad is gone because I'm not washing it again.
We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.
her remark about her son being embarrassed makes me think that she's the one that's embarrassed. hope it works out for you and they leave soon!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
bedwetters.jpg

Here we see two innkeepers attempting to get a bed wetting situation under control.
Thank you for the humor! Greatly appreciated on this, the 6th morning...

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
bedwetters.jpg

so there is one more nite to go or is this it?
have you put down a layer of rubber sheeting and/or trash bags? or what did you try to do to ward off the wet?
i have a gentleman who has brought with him a supply of 'chucks' that he sleeps on. i fluffed his bed and spotted it on the sheet. then saw the pile of them with his things so i discarded the one on the bed. pulled everything off the bed, put extra rubber sheeting between the mattress pad and the mattress and replaced his chuck with a new one. just in case. there were also very wet adult depends in the bedroom trash to dispose of.
my dad became incontinent towards the end of his life. but he was totally aware of it, tried very hard to control it, and miserable about it. reacted badly to med to try to control it and dr. declined to do prostate surgery as he was almost 90 and had weakend heart.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
bedwetters.jpg

roflmao! Too funny!
That's one for you to look up in the glossary
teeth_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
bedwetters.jpg

have you put down a layer of rubber sheeting and/or trash bags? or what did you try to do to ward off the wet?
i have a gentleman who has brought with him a supply of 'chucks' that he sleeps on. i fluffed his bed and spotted it on the sheet. then saw the pile of them with his things so i discarded the one on the bed. pulled everything off the bed, put extra rubber sheeting between the mattress pad and the mattress and replaced his chuck with a new one. just in case. there were also very wet adult depends in the bedroom trash to dispose of.
my dad became incontinent towards the end of his life. but he was totally aware of it, tried very hard to control it, and miserable about it. reacted badly to med to try to control it and dr. declined to do prostate surgery as he was almost 90 and had weakend heart.
seashanty said:
Immediately, the first morning we cleaned this up we put down a contractor grade plastic bag on top of the new mattress pad and a towel on top of the bag, sheets on top, blanket & quilt. Next day took off mattress pad & blanket (tired of washing them and realizing this wasn't a one off) and had the plastic sheet in place with towel on top. Next day got tired of washing towel, too and just put sheets on bed. Next day removed quilt. Have now removed all pillows (they're going in the trash).

so, gillum,
- if the parents don't want the child in the bed with them, and
- they don't want to book a separate room, and
- you can't put a cot in the room (cause it will block fire exists) , and
- you can't move out a queen size bed and install two separate beds,
What's an innkeeper to do? Well, of course, according to State law.

so, gillum,
- if the parents don't want the child in the bed with them, and
- they don't want to book a separate room, and
- you can't put a cot in the room (cause it will block fire exists) , and
- you can't move out a queen size bed and install two separate beds,
What's an innkeeper to do? Well, of course, according to State law..
according to my state license, i have a maximum occupancy per room depending on the room. so if parents don't want to work with the room setups and maximum occupancies of my available rooms per the fire laws, they book elsewhere.
their choice.
and i have to be very firm about what i can do.
under the terms of maine state law, number of rooms i have, i can't say 'we don't accept children'.
it's a lot to keep track of.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
bedwetters.jpg

seashanty said:
Immediately, the first morning we cleaned this up we put down a contractor grade plastic bag on top of the new mattress pad and a towel on top of the bag, sheets on top, blanket & quilt. Next day took off mattress pad & blanket (tired of washing them and realizing this wasn't a one off) and had the plastic sheet in place with towel on top. Next day got tired of washing towel, too and just put sheets on bed. Next day removed quilt. Have now removed all pillows (they're going in the trash).
gosh! not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a lot of urine from one person in the night to destroy pillows, too!

Back