Tesla Destination Charging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tesla%20charging%20550.jpg
Tom, It looks nice. Afraid I do not have such lovely scenery - we are in town. I see you did not use the posts either. Next week I will contact UPS about shipping the posts back - I NEED to get them off my porch. My wallet is cringing at what the freight is going to be.
NOTE to all looking to get the chargers: The posts they sent were very large squares that must be put in a deep cement base. Tom's mount or what we ended up doing (mounting on the house) works nicely without detracting.
gillumhouse said:
Tom, It looks nice. Afraid I do not have such lovely scenery - we are in town. I see you did not use the posts either. Next week I will contact UPS about shipping the posts back - I NEED to get them off my porch. My wallet is cringing at what the freight is going to be.
NOTE to all looking to get the chargers: The posts they sent were very large squares that must be put in a deep cement base. Tom's mount or what we ended up doing (mounting on the house) works nicely without detracting.
I suspect there's a good chance Tesla won't want the posts back. If they don't, donate them to the city.

Great Tom! It's amazing to see how fast the fish find the crumbs tossed into the water. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, build it and they will come!.
Arks said:
Great Tom! It's amazing to see how fast the fish find the crumbs tossed into the water. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, build it and they will come!
But only if you tell them it is there
gillumhouse said:
It seems the Tesla website and car navigation systems are already doing that. They can get the word out to Tesla owners better than anybody, and it's free!
Be sure, though, to also enroll your chargers at PlugShare. That's where most non-Tesla electric vehicle drivers go to find chargers during their travels. To get started, go to the website and click "Add Station" at the top of the screen.
When I'm needing to take an out of town trip, I go first to the Tesla destination charging website and look for Tesla chargers along my route. If I don't find any, I go to PlugShare and look for other types of electric vehicle chargers I can access.

gillumhouse said:
I suspect there's a good chance Tesla won't want the posts back. If they don't, donate them to the city.
They gave me an address to send them to. Monday I am going to call UPS.

Great Tom! It's amazing to see how fast the fish find the crumbs tossed into the water. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, build it and they will come!.
Arks said:
Great Tom! It's amazing to see how fast the fish find the crumbs tossed into the water. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, build it and they will come!
gillumhouse said:
It seems the Tesla website and car navigation systems are already doing that. They can get the word out to Tesla owners better than anybody, and it's free!
Be sure, though, to also enroll your chargers at PlugShare. That's where most non-Tesla electric vehicle drivers go to find chargers during their travels. To get started, go to the website and click "Add Station" at the top of the screen.
When I'm needing to take an out of town trip, I go first to the Tesla destination charging website and look for Tesla chargers along my route. If I don't find any, I go to PlugShare and look for other types of electric vehicle chargers I can access.
Thanks to Innkeep, I signed in to Plugshare when I was still 110 and went back to change to Tesla but could not update. I send an e-mail to plugshare and they fixed it for me. Now if Tesla would get me on their site...... I filled out the form July 1 after the electricians left.

Indeed, this is a guest. Arrived late with .. 30 miles charge remaining, topped up in 7 hours at 40A. Owners were headed for Idaho. Really nice folk, have owned the Tesla for over 2 years, but are still eager to talk about it
wink_smile.gif

Two Teslas are also booked Monday and Tuesday next week. I did enroll in Plug Share, but the other EV are less likely to undertake the long range trips that will bring them to me. I am on the Tesla internal navigation system, so the cars can find me easily.
The install is on my utility shed (note meter on right side). Easy to run a new line to feed through the wall to the charger. Install was under $200 parts and labor. I have a 200 A panel with nothing on it but my well pump; the little lean-to in the picture houses my back-up generator for the well. OK, so a little hillbilly, but we are out in the country, so it is the style -- contributes to the pioneering sense of adventure while traversing the great Pacific Northwest. But it is also a safe, off-street parking spot.
This is 50 yards from the inn proper; if the Tesla business becomes brisk, I'll move or install a new unit at one of our paved parking sites and can go up to 64A or 80A.
And, I'll say a thousand thanks to the Innspiring members who brought this opportunity to my attention.

Indeed, this is a guest. Arrived late with .. 30 miles charge remaining, topped up in 7 hours at 40A. Owners were headed for Idaho. Really nice folk, have owned the Tesla for over 2 years, but are still eager to talk about it
wink_smile.gif

Two Teslas are also booked Monday and Tuesday next week. I did enroll in Plug Share, but the other EV are less likely to undertake the long range trips that will bring them to me. I am on the Tesla internal navigation system, so the cars can find me easily.
The install is on my utility shed (note meter on right side). Easy to run a new line to feed through the wall to the charger. Install was under $200 parts and labor. I have a 200 A panel with nothing on it but my well pump; the little lean-to in the picture houses my back-up generator for the well. OK, so a little hillbilly, but we are out in the country, so it is the style -- contributes to the pioneering sense of adventure while traversing the great Pacific Northwest. But it is also a safe, off-street parking spot.
This is 50 yards from the inn proper; if the Tesla business becomes brisk, I'll move or install a new unit at one of our paved parking sites and can go up to 64A or 80A.
And, I'll say a thousand thanks to the Innspiring members who brought this opportunity to my attention.
Tom said:
Indeed, this is a guest...Two Teslas are also booked Monday and Tuesday next week...And, I'll say a thousand thanks to the Innspiring members who brought this opportunity to my attention.
You might want to consider ripping it out Tom. Someone above said the cost/benefit analysis tells him the money would be better spent on a nice professional SEO job or a few years in a directory ;-)

wink_smile.gif

Tom said:
Indeed, this is a guest...Two Teslas are also booked Monday and Tuesday next week...And, I'll say a thousand thanks to the Innspiring members who brought this opportunity to my attention.
You might want to consider ripping it out Tom. Someone above said the cost/benefit analysis tells him the money would be better spent on a nice professional SEO job or a few years in a directory ;-)
I am so happy for you. I'm Anxiously awaiting Iris' electrified chicken coop. What a hoot.

wink_smile.gif

Tom said:
I am so happy for you. I'm Anxiously awaiting Iris' electrified chicken coop. What a hoot.
Innkeep said:
If I could figure out how to post pictures here, I would show you how cute that coop is. You can see it if you don't mind wandering over to our fb page ;)

wink_smile.gif

Tom said:
Innkeep said:
If I could figure out how to post pictures here, I would show you how cute that coop is. You can see it if you don't mind wandering over to our fb page ;)
Iris said:
I have
teeth_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

Tom said:
Yeah, I can't imagine this paying for itself; I'll probably pull the charger out when my hydrogen tank arrives so I can serve guests with those new fuel cell cars.
[To those unfamiliar with irony: the charger was free; the three room nights is $545 for me; Tesla offered to reimburse installation.]

wink_smile.gif

Tom said:
Yeah, I can't imagine this paying for itself; I'll probably pull the charger out when my hydrogen tank arrives so I can serve guests with those new fuel cell cars.
[To those unfamiliar with irony: the charger was free; the three room nights is $545 for me; Tesla offered to reimburse installation.]
Tesla told my electrician to invoice them. When I find out how much it will cost to ship the posts back, I will say what I am out of pocket. So far - $25 for the building permit.

We are excited as well! After we looked on Tesla's map, I decided to go ahead and fill out the online form. Ben replied to our inquiry fairly quickly, and now we are contacting our electrician to get an estimate.
Will update as it goes forward.

I see that one of the 3 destination chargers in my state is a liquor store. That's quite a destination!

I've never understood why you sent those posts back. I would have taken them to the local scrap salvage place. They weigh the metal and write you a check for it!
Or I would have told Tesla, if you want them back, send UPS to pick them up at Tesla's expense.
You are too nice! :)

We have an electrician coming out to give us the estimate / quote. I wonder: since Tesla is reimbursing up to two Tesla chargers (plus the universal) should we go ahead and get two of the high-powered ones?
Or, does it depend on the power that's available at the location? Curious how many chargers (those who have them) have installed?

We have an electrician coming out to give us the estimate / quote. I wonder: since Tesla is reimbursing up to two Tesla chargers (plus the universal) should we go ahead and get two of the high-powered ones?
Or, does it depend on the power that's available at the location? Curious how many chargers (those who have them) have installed?.
Depends on # of rooms and location. I have 1 of each. My electric will not support another one even if I wanted it. Not getting another service line installed. I have 200 amp service and the Tesla charger required 100 amps just for it. The Universal is 40 amps. I am down to 1 slot on my breakfast box and I do not think it would be wise to install anything on it.

Or, does it depend on the power that's available at the location? Curious how many chargers (those who have them) have installed?.
Redbirds said:
Or, does it depend on the power that's available at the location? Curious how many chargers (those who have them) have installed?
Have you filled out the form on the Tesla website (referenced in some of the early posts)? I believe they will help you decide how many chargers are appropriate both for the number of guests you can accommodate, and your present breaker boxes. Glad you're looking into it.

Depends on # of rooms and location. I have 1 of each. My electric will not support another one even if I wanted it. Not getting another service line installed. I have 200 amp service and the Tesla charger required 100 amps just for it. The Universal is 40 amps. I am down to 1 slot on my breakfast box and I do not think it would be wise to install anything on it.
Good point. I'll stick to one of each.
regular_smile.gif

Redbirds

I've never understood why you sent those posts back. I would have taken them to the local scrap salvage place. They weigh the metal and write you a check for it!
Or I would have told Tesla, if you want them back, send UPS to pick them up at Tesla's expense.
You are too nice! :).
Arks said:
You are too nice! :)
ditto

Back