The Guests from Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
Quick question for you guys. The GFH will be arriving shortly. I was curious to know how you would handle the topic of the "upgraded room".
Would you not mention it and just show them to it.
Tell them you have decided to upgrade them.
or ?
260151.gif

Open to suggestions. I don't want to 'reward' them for being jackasses.
9529.gif
I would say "I know we got off on the wrong foot and would like to upgrade your room to make your stay more enjoyable" or something like that.
Mr.Design said:
I would say "I know we got off on the wrong foot and would like to upgrade your room to make your stay more enjoyable" or something like that.
See, I wouldn't acknowledge the conversation at all. If you do, it might seem as though you are catering to their bad attitude. If you are just YOU and YOU have made the decision in THEIR best interests (wink, wink), you can show them that you won't be swayed by their lack of manners and civility. Don't ever let them see you sweat. That's what I've learned.
One other thing: people who offend you (general you, not specific you) don't think about you as much as you think they do. They were probably just reacting to the situation in their way. I wouldn't let them think that they got to you ONE IOTA. Make the switch on your terms, not theirs.
I think you have to acknowledge the phone incident. You know it happened, they know it happened. If neither one of you says anything the tension is going to be that much thicker.
I think if you just say you've made the decision to upgrade them and not mention the call then they're going to think you're trying kiss their butt and you're nervous about it all.
Acknowledge the call, show there's no hard feelings by giving them the upgrade and go from there or otherwise like I said, it's going to be very tense.
Mr.Design said:
I think you have to acknowledge the phone incident. You know it happened, they know it happened. If neither one of you says anything the tension is going to be that much thicker.
I think there is a possiblilty that they wouldn't. So many guests think we have some kind of answering booking service. They'll be talking to me when they arrive and they'll mention talking to someone when they booked (also me) and have no idea that we are the same person. We're a three bedroom place but I would say the general assumption when people are on the phone is that we are some big resort with all kinds of employees doing all the work. The irony of that assumption is pretty comical ...if you like sadistic comedy... but I think it happens more often than not.
swirt said:
Mr.Design said:
I think there is a possiblilty that they wouldn't. So many guests think we have some kind of answering booking service. They'll be talking to me when they arrive and they'll mention talking to someone when they booked (also me) and have no idea that we are the same person. We're a three bedroom place but I would say the general assumption when people are on the phone is that we are some big resort with all kinds of employees doing all the work. The irony of that assumption is pretty comical ...if you like sadistic comedy... but I think it happens more often than not.
Ain't that the truth! And it comes in especially handy when the sneaky sort of guest wants to get away with something. 'Oh, well the MAN/WOMAN I spoke with said...' depending on if they get a female/male voice when they want to pull a fast one.

UPDATE # 2
They are here and I don't know what to think.
icon_eek.gif

I suspect they are changelings. They are seniors in their late 70's and couldn't be nicer. I'm puzzled.
I suspect (My theory anyway) is that they are the GRANDPARENTS who were sent in place of the irate parents.
They are sitting on the front porch enjoying a bottle of wine on ice as we speak. Hopefully we won't have a Jenkel and Hyde situation once the alcohol kicks in....I'll keep you guys posted.
*scratches head in confusion*
icon_scratch.png

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
Just be yourself and smile twice as much as usual.
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
This is an opportunity to show what you are really made of as an Innkeeper.
"Not all guests are "out to get us"."
Well, these two and the daughter got off to a flyin' freakin' start in that department.
"And you don't know that they won't have a good time."
With all that has transpired already, the insults, threats, the refusal to abide by policy, etc.. I just don't see anything good coming out of it. Remember this is a cancellation that was to occur 24 hours from arrival to begin with and now looks like under very specious circumstances. What did they visit some magic healer the minute they knew some financial consequences were involved. They lied, were rude, threatening and blackmailing.
Just the kind of long term, repeat clientele I want to both reward and cultivate.
angry_smile.gif
(Tim's symbol for sarcasm.)
"But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get."
Sorry, but they WERE treated as if they'd have a good time from the START. They instigated the tension and acrimony by their actions, NOT the innkeeper who spent hours trying to smooth it over. Look where that approach got them.
I'm not a very "woo woo" or new agey kind of person, but that kind of "energy" has no place in our home, even for one night.
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go, especially when you already have their money and told them you would not refund it. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given a chance to have a nice time.
I don't think I heard anyone say don't be nice. They are saying and I agree- do not reward bad behavior. It is reinforcing them to continue to act bad to get even more. That doesn't mean one need be inflexible either.
We have 99.9% amazing guests, but every so often we find ourselves having to gently steer them away from a bad behavior. "How nice that you will leave us a great review- even though you are choosing to depart early to find sunny weather and giving up your last paid night. Most of our guests don't go there, but it has happened and being firm about the policy and offering them a choice to resolve (if that is possible) gives you the means to respond honestly later. In the end, the integrity you display and the faith you show in your own policies can mitigate a guests complaint if they figure out they are being unreasonable.
Guests are never wrong, but they are occasionally mistaken.

UPDATE # 2
icon_eek.gif

I suspect they are changelings. They are seniors in their late 70's and couldn't be nicer. I'm puzzled.
I suspect (My theory anyway) is that they are the GRANDPARENTS who were sent in place of the irate parents.
They are sitting on the front porch enjoying a bottle of wine on ice as we speak. Hopefully we won't have a Jenkel and Hyde situation once the alcohol kicks in....I'll keep you guys posted.
icon_scratch.png
Whew! Glad to know it's so far so good!
Did you go for the upgrade?

The best way to handle someone who has decided they hate you already is to turn on the charm and forget any of the previous conversation ever happened. Greet them as you would complete strangers but make sure your spine is straight, your handshake is firm and you look them right in the eye. If shaking hands is not something you usually do, do it this time. You must make contact with them in an assertive way.
If your regular checkin involves signing any paperwork, make sure that is done as they may be vindictive and you want a signature. Not that you will be able to collect if they do damage as they are already threatening to call the credit card company and do a chargeback. But, you must be prepared that they will still do this. So get your signatures showing they agree to your policies and to prove they were there.
Be firm and always take the high road. No matter what sort of behavior they exhibit, take the high road even if you are tossing them and their bags into the yard!.
MooseTrax said:
The best way to handle someone who has decided they hate you already is to turn on the charm and forget any of the previous conversation ever happened. Greet them as you would complete strangers but make sure your spine is straight, your handshake is firm and you look them right in the eye. If shaking hands is not something you usually do, do it this time. You must make contact with them in an assertive way.
If your regular checkin involves signing any paperwork, make sure that is done as they may be vindictive and you want a signature. Not that you will be able to collect if they do damage as they are already threatening to call the credit card company and do a chargeback. But, you must be prepared that they will still do this. So get your signatures showing they agree to your policies and to prove they were there.
Be firm and always take the high road. No matter what sort of behavior they exhibit, take the high road even if you are tossing them and their bags into the yard!
See, I was thinking to avoid the signatures. That way I can claim them as a no show if it came to that....what is your opinion on that?
Oh my goodness no! Get on the high road and stay there.

UPDATE # 2
icon_eek.gif

icon_scratch.png
Mr.Design said:
Yes, I upgraded them to help make their anniversary 'special'.
(for my own peace of mind, to be honest).

UPDATE # 2
icon_eek.gif

icon_scratch.png
I may be the only one, but I am not suprised. They're probably out there talking about how nice you are.
Two days ago, I had a one-night older couple (70's too) show up to check in at about 12:45 for a 3pm checkin. The rooms was ready, so I happily let them in...one more thing out of the way. It was raining cats and dogs, and there were mud puddles everywhere. He was very huffy schlepping the luggage in, and went right past my outstretched hand and ignored my greeting. She must have mentioned five times about the mud, the mud, the mud...like she was blaming me!
They left to spend the day with the family, and when they came back, although it was still cold and rainy, they were like different people. Laughing over dessert and cups of tea with other guests, exclaiming over the cake and the little fireplace in their room. In the morning, we got very warm thanks, requests for extra business cards and promises to return and tell everyone what a great little place we have.
This is why I give the benefit of the doubt and give people a chance before I start sucking on lemons or brace for a fight. Could be they just had a horrible rainy drive the whole way here, were arguing, someone didn't feel good...whatever!
Call me naive, that's OK.

Nice to see that things are working out for you and the guests... so far.

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
Well, these two and the daughter got off to a flyin' freakin' start in that department.
With all that has transpired already, the insults, threats, the refusal to abide by policy, etc.. I just don't see anything good coming out of it. Remember this is a cancellation that was to occur 24 hours from arrival to begin with and now looks like under very specious circumstances. What did they visit some magic healer the minute they knew some financial consequences were involved. They lied, were rude, threatening and blackmailing.
Just the kind of long term, repeat clientele I want to both reward and cultivate.
angry_smile.gif
"But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get."
Sorry, but they WERE treated as if they'd have a good time from the START. They instigated the tension and acrimony by their actions, NOT the innkeeper who spent hours trying to smooth it over. Look where that approach got them.
I'm not a very "woo woo" or new agey kind of person, but that kind of "energy" has no place in our home, even for one night.
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go, especially when you already have their money and told them you would not refund it. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given a chance to have a nice time.
I don't think I heard anyone say don't be nice. They are saying and I agree- do not reward bad behavior. It is reinforcing them to continue to act bad to get even more. That doesn't mean one need be inflexible either.
We have 99.9% amazing guests, but every so often we find ourselves having to gently steer them away from a bad behavior. "How nice that you will leave us a great review- even though you are choosing to depart early to find sunny weather and giving up your last paid night. Most of our guests don't go there, but it has happened and being firm about the policy and offering them a choice to resolve (if that is possible) gives you the means to respond honestly later. In the end, the integrity you display and the faith you show in your own policies can mitigate a guests complaint if they figure out they are being unreasonable.
knkbnb said:
I totally disagree. Sometimes Guests are wrong, overdemanding and just plain A_holes! That's why we have policies: to protect ourselves. All guests do deserve respect and courtesy but there's nothing in the rules about making yourself a door mat.
smiley-angry013.gif

tim, i'd like to respectfully request that you edit this last comment ~
my edit: thank you.
thumbs_up.gif

UPDATE # 3 -
Still lovely people. No weird morphing into madness. I still believe they are transplants. Happy as clams. Now I can't get them to leave.
Check out is at 11 and they are still here.
rolleyes.gif

Little Blue said:
angry_smile.gif
knkbnb said:
I totally disagree. Sometimes Guests are wrong, overdemanding and just plain A_holes! That's why we have policies: to protect ourselves. All guests do deserve respect and courtesy but there's nothing in the rules about making yourself a door mat.
smiley-angry013.gif

Whoa pardna! The ropin` event is next week!
Forgive me for being overly cryptic. This was totally in the cheek and you may have pulled this out of context. I think I agree with you. I was merely saying that we know guests are wrong but that a certain amount of tact in getting what you want from a guest can leave them unsuspecting that they were wrong.
A door mat! Please -that is kind of inflamatory. If you look through my postings, you will see that I almost always support innkeepers keeping their inn and not their guests. You'll find very little hand wringing about enforcing our policies and very limited areas of compromise on our rates etc.

UPDATE # 3 -
Still lovely people. No weird morphing into madness. I still believe they are transplants. Happy as clams. Now I can't get them to leave.
rolleyes.gif
"I still believe they are transplants."
No name or voise recogntion from all the phone calls?
"Happy as clams."
The proverbial silver lining.
"Now I can't get them to leave. Check out is at 11 and they are still here."
Drag out the vacuum and start cleaning right near wherever they are.
Even if it is them, your obligatory graciousness and financial commitment to them ended 5 minutes ago.

UPDATE # 2
icon_eek.gif

icon_scratch.png
I may be the only one, but I am not suprised. They're probably out there talking about how nice you are.
Two days ago, I had a one-night older couple (70's too) show up to check in at about 12:45 for a 3pm checkin. The rooms was ready, so I happily let them in...one more thing out of the way. It was raining cats and dogs, and there were mud puddles everywhere. He was very huffy schlepping the luggage in, and went right past my outstretched hand and ignored my greeting. She must have mentioned five times about the mud, the mud, the mud...like she was blaming me!
They left to spend the day with the family, and when they came back, although it was still cold and rainy, they were like different people. Laughing over dessert and cups of tea with other guests, exclaiming over the cake and the little fireplace in their room. In the morning, we got very warm thanks, requests for extra business cards and promises to return and tell everyone what a great little place we have.
This is why I give the benefit of the doubt and give people a chance before I start sucking on lemons or brace for a fight. Could be they just had a horrible rainy drive the whole way here, were arguing, someone didn't feel good...whatever!
Call me naive, that's OK.
"Call me naive, that's OK."
I wouldn't call you naive in the slightest, just a very optimistic person.
FD has already wondered aloud if its even the same couple, so who knows what's going on over there.
Have a great evening and we'll dig in on hopefully some more interesting stuff the next time.
Anything for you SS. I'm a sucker for such a wonderful smile.

# 4 - The Story Ends.
They have departed. Not one word about the telephone conversations, or anything that transpired. At first I thought they were transplants, but that was put to rest as they were walking out the door.
The husband said "I'm glad we came. We really DID have a good time."
Shook my hand and slipped me $20.
In retrospect, I think they had never been to a B & B and didn't know what to expect. Therefore they tried to get out of it only to find they couldn't.
Turns out they had a good time and maybe come back.
I'm glad this had a happy ending. The whole episode had me concerned.
Thanks for all your advice and insight. Hugs to all.

# 4 - The Story Ends.
They have departed. Not one word about the telephone conversations, or anything that transpired. At first I thought they were transplants, but that was put to rest as they were walking out the door.
The husband said "I'm glad we came. We really DID have a good time."
Shook my hand and slipped me $20.
In retrospect, I think they had never been to a B & B and didn't know what to expect. Therefore they tried to get out of it only to find they couldn't.
Turns out they had a good time and maybe come back.
I'm glad this had a happy ending. The whole episode had me concerned.
Thanks for all your advice and insight. Hugs to all..
"Thanks for all your advice and insight. Hugs to all."
No, thank you for allowing all to explore and examine our own approachs, assumptions and reactions to what is hopefully a very rare occurence for any of us.
I learned an incredible amount of valuable information and gained some insight on some stuff I needed to address. Couldn't have done it without you and everyone else spending so much time processing this.
Hugs right back 'atcha
Have a nice rest of your day and weekend.

I wish that on their journey to your home that they realized how they behaved and may actually feel embarassed and hopefully even appologised.
We had a same day cancelation, when they were told that they would have to pay the balance (we turned down 2 other reservations for this same weekend), they said they would call us back as to how they would be making the payment, but they called back to say they would come. For us it was a 2 night stay. They came, they were quiet and never really seemed happy during their breakfasts. Their full day was spent at a wedding all day thankfully so we never had to deal with them during the day. They left, said they were happy that they came (didn't once show it) and that they would recommend our B&B to others.

UPDATE # 3 -
rolleyes.gif
Did they look overly tranquilized when they were there? If not, my guess is they probably sold it to friends and pocketed the money.

I wish that on their journey to your home that they realized how they behaved and may actually feel embarassed and hopefully even appologised.
We had a same day cancelation, when they were told that they would have to pay the balance (we turned down 2 other reservations for this same weekend), they said they would call us back as to how they would be making the payment, but they called back to say they would come. For us it was a 2 night stay. They came, they were quiet and never really seemed happy during their breakfasts. Their full day was spent at a wedding all day thankfully so we never had to deal with them during the day. They left, said they were happy that they came (didn't once show it) and that they would recommend our B&B to others..
I was trying to say this at one point- there is great value in sticking to your policies and asking guests to accept their responsibilities related to the contract they made with you. It often turns out like what you have shared here.

Back